PLEASE READ: Reaching out to each other

Did you know we have nearly 4,800 members here in our community and dozens joining every month? Every one of you united by your Chiari or that of a friend, child, spouse, other family member or close colleague who is living with Chiari Malformation or expecting that diagnosis.

Each person who joins us, and those who come to read our site but choose not to join, is reaching out. Reaching out for information or to share it, reaching out for somewhere to tell their story, reaching out to ask for help, reaching out for support or friendship.

However you cut it, it's pretty simple. It boils down to one thing. One basic human need. To not feel alone with Chiari.

It's ok if you find what you need simply by reading but when a member posts to share some part of their journey they are directly reaching out to make a connection with YOU, another human being sharing the same condition.

If you read their discussion but don't feel you can answer the question, haven't experienced the same issue or can't suggest a solution to the problem PLEASE pause a moment before moving on. Has some small part of the post resonated with you? Could you take a minute to reach out with a few words of kindness? If you don't know what to say, just say "Hello".

This small act, just a few seconds of your time, might make all the difference to someone who is lost, confused, scared, overwhelmed, in pain or any one of the other thousand emotions and experiences that every single person facing Chiari or other heath issues goes through at some point. Remember when you felt like that?

Our community tag line is To get support, give support. We would love to see more member posts supported.

Make a difference to someone. Please reach out to each other as much as you are able. This is YOUR community group.

2 Likes

Even a few kind words can make someone feel better! :)

2 Likes

Thank you, Jules, for this heartfelt and thoughtful reminder on importance of reaching out to one another.
Hugs,
Laurie

1 Like

This post struck such a chord with me! As someone new to the Chiari diagnosis and community, it's such a relief to read about people with similar experiences, but even better to actually connect in a discussion or message. It's so gratifying to get even one post or comment...it makes me (and others) feel just a little bit less alone and scared. Thanks, Jules :)

1 Like

Thank you for this post.
It resonates with me in many ways. I have found so juch comfort (& also heartache knowing you all suffer the same way as I) from all of you- who really are total strangers. But can not only relate by in some instances have been more compassionate and sympathetic and/or empathetic than my own loved ones.
I am finishing a degree in human services and the other day in class program for rural areas were being discussed. And I was very quick to point out that while I do not diminish the feeling of the farmer 45 minutes away from the nearest town there are many, MANY people who live in urban areas who feel just as alone.
Because while I can only speak for myself, this whole thing has taken so much from me, I am surrounded. But I am alone.
In the short time I’ve been a part of the community you have all helped me with that.
Thank you.

2 Likes