One Week Post Op Dr. visit

Dr. Tew and nurse Nancy are happy with my progress. They given me my next set of goals: slowly work into lifting 10 lbs, can use shampoo & conditioner again, no reaching over the head, once off narcotics (which I'm trying to slowly wean off of) then I can drive supervised (oh the girls will have fun with this), and rest. In 3 weeks, we'll talk again and discuss when I will return to work.

The only thing they were upset with was the fact the hospital discharged me with the wrong exercises: Dr. Tew expressed to Nancy that she needs to go inform them of the correct exercises. THey were both upset, but now I have the correct exercises with very explicit directions (which I'm happy with) & I'm on the right track.

They are trying to get a Chiari Walk in Cincinnati this year and I offered to help. I also was lucky enough to meet another Chiari patient. Dr. Tew asked if I would talk about my experience. I believe you may see her joining our group. For 20 years she was told she had migraines with auroas and she too like many of us are just thankful to have a name for the condition and support from people who have been there.

Tonight and tomorrow I'm going to rest, because I haven't rested enough in the past two days due to the dr appt. and two visits to the hospital to see my sister-in-law (she is being released today though :)

Take care!

Peace and love,

Carrie :)

Hi Carrie,

I am so glad to hear that your post op appt went good. What exercises is he having you do? I was given a neck range of motion exercise sheet at the hospital. It has exercises for after the surgery, at 2 weeks post op, and at 4 weeks post op.

I did not know that I was not supposed to be raising my arms over my heads. My appt's with him have been in the late evenings close to the office closing. I kinda feel rushed in a way.

I would love to help with the walk for Cincinnati in any way needed. Just let me know.

Love and Gentle hugs,

Tara

Tara,

You may want to tell Nurse Nancy. Knowing that I was getting neck exercises since I had talked to you - I asked Dr. Tew's resident and he described the ones that I should be doing. The hospital gave me the same ones they gave you. I took the paper, b/c on the back it said 1 month for the first set of pix and I wanted to know if I should do all of them or just the top set. I also wanted specific how many times a day for how long. So I showed the paper to Nurse Nancy she immediately took it and said you need Chiari specific exercises. I hold my head straight and w/o bending push forward against my hand for 10 secs, then still holding my head still I push against the back of my head, the right and the left for 10 secs each 4 x a day. I look to the left and then I look to the right and I look down and I tilt my head back. I imagine they can e-mail you a copy of the exercises. Dr. Tew told Nancy she needed to inform them of the correct paper to provide Chiari patients. I attached a copy from the Mayfield Chiari Center site - let me know if you didn't get it. I would double check with Nancy to make sure that you aren't doing the correct exercises. You can tell her that you have the same paper as Carrie Murray.

Nurse Nancy told me she doesn't want me reaching above my head for the risk of something falling on it. Like she asked about our microwave and ours is above the range (probably a little too high right now)- she said she thought it would be okay - but I don't want to risk it right now.

You know last night I had some insomnia and I didn't realize that it could be the steroid - I really just couldn't turn my mind off I think b/c of my sister-in-law literally at University Hospital ER from 9 a.m. and didn't get a room until 5:00 a.m. this morning. I'm hoping I can sleep tonight.

I don't know what help they will have me do, but I will absolutely tell them your willingness to help. Thanks~ :)

Peace, love, and gentle hugs,

Tara Wallace said:

Hi Carrie,

I am so glad to hear that your post op appt went good. What exercises is he having you do? I was given a neck range of motion exercise sheet at the hospital. It has exercises for after the surgery, at 2 weeks post op, and at 4 weeks post op.

I did not know that I was not supposed to be raising my arms over my heads. My appt's with him have been in the late evenings close to the office closing. I kinda feel rushed in a way.

I would love to help with the walk for Cincinnati in any way needed. Just let me know.

Love and Gentle hugs,

Tara

Tara,

Here is a copy of the exercises that Nurse Nancy gave me.

615-neckexercises.pdf (630 KB)

Hi Carrie,

Those neck exercises you have I remember Dr. Tew and nurse Nancy showing them to me in the office but the sheet of exercises they gave me at the hospital was totally different. Good, now I know I am doing the right exercises.

Take care hun and I will be talking to you later.

Love and Gentle hugs,

Tara

Dear hopeful1

Thank you for the exercises.

I was operated 22.11.11 and did not any at all and find them very useful.

Actually I did not receive any information about daily life after the op

Cristina

hopeful1 said:

Tara,

Here is a copy of the exercises that Nurse Nancy gave me.

Hi....

Glad to see you are back...happy you are are the right track now with the neck exersices...don't over-do!!!!!

Is your sister-in-law home and I the mend I hope?

Take Care,

Lori

@Cristina - I'm glad the exercises helped!

@Lori - thanks for the prayers. My sister-in-law was admitted to the hospital on the neuro floor b/c they read a blood clot on the MRI, but after the chief of radiology & docs read it - it turned out to be a psuedotumor. So she is on blood thinners and another med until it resolves itself. She sees her eye dr every 3 mo until it is cleared. She stayed in the hospital overnight and was released late the next day. She has adjusted to her meds and is doing well. - thanks for asking about her.

Carrie.....

Hope you are feeling well..Here I go again...Listen to your body and don't over-do!!!!

Oh what good news about your sister in law.....hopefully the med change will do the trick. She is lucky to have you..you two are close..I bet. I have 1 sister in law and she is more like a sister and friend than sis in law.

Carrie..have a restful w/e and keep us updated on your recovery.

Peace,

Lori