Numbness

Hey everyone,

I am new to the site and still going through the diagnosis process but my doctor is pretty certain that I have Chiari and both my Mom and Sister have Chiari and had the decompression surgery. I am dealing with a lot of symptoms but one that I haven't heard a lot about is I have almost constant numbness in my hands and feet. It is pretty troubling and I was wondering if anyone else has had this or has any suggestions as to what to do about it to alleviate some of the numbness. It gets pretty frustrating because I drop a lot of things and the tingling is just annoying in general so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

My numbness is constant at time then it will go away the come back. Enter vicious cycle because there are time I wake from a nights sleep to be numb in my face ,legs, and/or arms/hands. Good luck cause yes it an be frustrating, but instead of dropping things I have a hard time grabbing things especially small things. I hope this helps

Michael -

Is that mostly caused by a/the fluid syrinx in the spinal chord putting pressure on the nerves?

I have pretty severe numbness and tingling in my hands and feet also. The only thing that I have found that helps me is keeping my feet propped up when I am sitting down. Which, like Micheal mentions, I also wake up in the middle of the night to it, so this doesn't work then. And my feet will go numb while I am walking and I haven't found anything to help that yet. But with my hands, the only thing that even comes close to helping is the braces they fitted me for for my carpal tunnel.

I suffered from this and I under went carpal tunnel and ulna nerve surgery and they rerouted nerves it has been a God sent I was pain free and could use my hands again for the past seven years. But that is one problem from Chiari, because of the spinal fluid flow they nerves do not form correctly and other nerves start forming in crazy winding patterns throughout the body. You are not alone!

I've been newly diagnosed .... although, I went to the doctor for tingling in my thumb/finger when my head is tilted backwards. Had MRI and they told me I have a 'thickened spinal ligament' causing the tingles in my thumb/finger. But they also discovered Chiari and syrinx (fluid) in my spinal column. I've been taking Prednisone for the last 8 days (have 2 left). At this point - my symptoms are minor and its hard to say if the tingles are actually from the ligament or the Chiari. So, I'm in monitoring mode....and/or deal with it until things get worse I guess. Doc says to get another MRI in a year and see what things look like.

I can't say what will or won't help you - but keep talking to your doctor and perhaps there's something they can do to help you. Prayers to you!

It could be caused by the syrnix I have but the NS said it also could be from the lack of CSF flow that I have as well. From my own research it could be caused by either from where my syrnix is located

Janster said:

Michael -

Is that mostly caused by a/the fluid syrinx in the spinal chord putting pressure on the nerves?

I still have the numbness and tingling and am 9 months post op. the dr are all arguing about what the cause is. So far I have only found that a change of position sometimes helps.

Thank you for all the responses and it just makes me happy to know that I am not alone in dealing with something like this. I've started getting facial numbness as well but as you all have said it kind of comes and goes, however I'm pretty sure I haven't been able to feel my feet for over a month now. I definitely understand what you mean about the shutting your foot in the door thing and not realizing it. I accidentally hit my hand against something and cut it open the other day and didnt realize it until I looked down and saw blood trickling down my hand. It's so strange the different things that happen to your body but I try and stay positive about it. At least when they are numb and tingling I learned that when I clap my hands it kind of feels like a firework has gone off inside them. It's pretty exciting to be honest! :) Sometimes to get the feeling back I just get up and shake my hands and feet around until I have at least some feeling in them or other times I prop my feet up as people have suggested and sometimes that works. Thank you all for all of your support on here it is great to feel so welcomed into this community!

My hands and feet are numb and tingly but I do not have syrinx so I'm not sure what is causing it. Mine comes and goes. Some days I'm fine others I'm numb all day.