Newly diagnosed

Hello! I was just recently diagnosed with Chiari Malformation last month. Since I was a child I have had issues with my vision fading in and out and having hearing problems. (Failed my hearing test in highschool). Within the past year my vision fading has become a daily occurence, upwards of 4-5 times a day. I will have surgery scheduled sometime around the beginning of next year. Have any of you experienced visual changes? My doctor said it was a unique symptom and that most people get painful headaches, but I have not experienced that symptom. I have never had surgery before but I am remaining optomistic that this will save my vision :)

Thank you Emmaline! I am anxious to have the surgery done which will be within the next 2 months I hope. I have been staying optomistic and cant wait to see how my vision will change. My mother had the surgery done and her vision was so much better after :)

Not yet, still waiting on the insurance company and paper work to go through. Lots of people on vacation this time of year so I probobly won't hear anything until after the holidays.

Yes I have vision issues...while everyone's Chiari symptoms are different, vision issues is not unique, your doctor is wrong. Mine comes and goes thank goodness. But I have noticed that its worse when my headache is worse. I didn't even wear glasses until 2 years ago and now I'm in bifocals and I'm not even 40 yet!

I literally woke up one morning and thought my contacts had fallen out and they hadn’t, I’d lost my vision, that was about two months ago. So with my contacts in I see like I used to with my contacts out and it happened overnight. Good luck, I also have horrible night vision also, I’ll be real interested to see how it is after surgery if I have surgery. Good luck

Hi

this sounds more like my case. I don't get headaches too often but i am dizzy all the time. my ears ring 90% of day. I to have had hearing loss issues since childhood. I never passed a hearing test as early as elementary school. over passed year it has gotten worse. my vision has always been excellent but over the past 6 mos it's gotten worse with blurry vision at times. only newly diagnosed and havent seen NS yet so not sure what will happen from here. thinking of you and hope your christmas is good! :)

Thank you for all the replies! It's so nice to talk to people who understand :) Hope you all had a wonderful christmas!