Neurosurgeon visit

Just came from the neurosurgeons office at slu. He feels strongly I will benefit from surgery. So here we go! Gotta get clearance from the cardiologist first.

Hey Andrea,
Are you from St Louis (SLU)? Who’s your neurosurgeon and scheduled surgery date? I have never had decompression surgery before, but wanted to reach out to you and let you know I am praying for you and will be thinking about you.

Well wishes and much love sent your way!
Amanda

I’m from around St. Louis and mu neurosurgeon is Dr. Coppens from slu he’s awesome!!! Plus there’s 8 neurosurgeons in this group total. I just had my echocardiogram today and my cardiologist app is Thursday for clearing for surgery date to be scheduled. I have mild heart valve disease so they’re making sure I’m okay for this surgery. I’ll keep everyone informed. Thank u Amanda. Andrea

I live in Arnold, MO (25 min south of St. Louis). I was diagnosed 7/22/15 with 10mm inferior displacement. My neurosurgeon is Peter Yoon (Mercy Hospital). I was told I won’t need surgery, and during my physical therapy appointment today was told most of my neck pain is being caused by Myofascial pain syndrome. I have never heard of Coppens. That has to be such a relief of how comfortable you feel with him and the team he has alongside him. My neurologist doesn’t have the greatest bedside manner, but is very skilled and knowledgable in Chiari. If you ever need to talk/vent I am here. You are the first person in this group I have had the opportunity to connect with.

Amanda :slight_smile:

Prayers and good luck I had surgery several years Ago now. Please know that surgery is an improvement but not a cure. Recovery is very rough and long. I wish someone had warned me to be better prepared for what to expect after surgery. If you have questions I will be happy to try to answer. Since surgery I have had injections and scheduled for new Mri to see what’s going on feels like ants on my face…it’s a uphill fight but we have to stay strong and fight the battle!

Dr. Coppen has been great with explaining that surgery is not a fix all and that i will still need medication and a neurologist for the rest of my life and the surgery is probably the hardest thing I will probably ever do in my life. How was ur first few days after surgery and what should I expect?

Although Dr. Coppens in a very nstter of fact neurosurgeon doesn’t beat around the bush. And I love that about him!!! And the fact that they use minimally invasive and the new o arm technology is exciting to me!!! Plus 8 neurosurgeons!!! I’m in great hands!!