Memory problems

Hi, i don't know if anyone has posted anything about this but i just joined so i haven't gotten to look through too many discussions. I have always had a very bad short term memory. It was documented when i was in the 4th grade. But my question is this.... i read that doing crosswords (which i suck at) and playing cards helps with memory. But are there any other suggestions that i could possibly try? When i am at work i don't have much time to do anything except for on my 30 minute lunch break. I have solitaire on my phone and i play that but i need some other suggestions to do when i am not working. i have tried a bunch of stuff but nothing really seems to help. I only ask because i have noticed in the past month that i seem to be forgetting more easily and more often. and it is just simple little things that i am forgetting. Between headaches, work, researching Chiari, and practicing for my roller derby (only helping to train the new league members until i talk to the Neurosurgeon), i don't really have the will to try more. On top of everything i barely get to spend some quality time with my husband. His schedule has him coming home when i am working, or going to bed shortly after i get home. When we do have time, i try to relax with him and not focus on anything else. I just want to find something that will at least help my memory so that i can remember things i need to, like Dr appointments (forgot about one last week). So if any of you have anything to suggest i would greatly appreciate it! thank you! i am thinking of maybe trying some word searches instead of crosswords but i need something else as well because unfortunately i get bored easily. LOL

I Too am having a lot of short term memory problems but it is so diffrent then before.

Before I was crazy busy working, kids taxi and a single mom..I would have to stop myself and make a note where i parked, put my keys etc..

Now it's more intense, i can't remember what I did 5 min ago let alone yesterday. I'm having problems typing i will be going along and can not remember how to spell, grammer etc. Also when I am speaking words wont come out at all or they are scrambled..

I'm can't take to much visual stimulation and having double vision that then turns to blury..

I can only handle 1 task at a time or I forget what i was doing then the anxiety hits.. I feel like my brain is so out of sink from the rest of me is this just from swelling after surgery? I am 6 weeks post op , in some areas I feel so much better but in other area's it scaring me to death!!

Thanks for listening

Dlm,
These memory problems started post op? I thought the surgery was supposed to ease these symptoms… How is the pain / headache since the surgery? U must be so frustrated! I am hoping for surgery but not sure what to expect. I fear the continuation, or worsening of symptoms. So far r u glad u had surgery?

Jenn

Kristin,

Omega 3 fatty acids are suppose to help with brain function. I take Fish Oil capsules and Evening Primrose Oil. I'm sure there are memory game websites or apps that you can get to put on your phone. It's so frustrating sometimes not being able to be as sharp as we once were. I hope some of the suggestions from everyone helps.

Wendy

Thank you all for the suggestions. A) i have downloaded some apps for my phone, including a sudoku app (which i seem to be addicted to), B) Memory hasn't gotten worse so far but headaches are a little worse when i try to stretch a little. C)I got my copy of Conquering Chiari tha ti will be starting ot read as soon as i finish my current book, and D) I am eating a little healthier to help get my body on the right track so i wont have to worry about other health problems. So i just wanted to say thank you. :-)

I skimmed thru the past posts and I didn't see anything mentioned, and I know this has been a problem since you were young, but don't forget to take in to consideration any medication you are on that may effect your memory. I'm on topiramate (topamax) and the main side effect I have is word loss - I've never had this problem so bad as I do now! I'll just be going along in a conversation and I have no idea what word it is I want to use - I know there is a word, but I just can't think of what it is! It's even more frustating because it'll happen more than once in a single conversation and then I feel like I need to explain that I'm on medication that makes me forget words!

I am actually on Amitriptyline due to the fact that i have been having trouble sleeping for over a year now. I had headaches before (over 5 years ago) and was on it and it seemed to work for a while. This time they started with 25 mg, upped it to 50, and after this last visit my neurologist upped it to 75 mg. If that doesn't seem to help me get some sleep i am to up it to 100mg. and if that doesn't do the trick with sleep and the headaches, she is going to try something else. .. possibly Topamax. This medicine im on now has put weight on me in the past and its doing so again. Because i am now borderline overweight, i don't want to put more on. Topamax is medicine my friend takes for her migraines (which is what we originally thought was my problem) and suppresses the appetite. However, due to the fact i am a light sleeper, my current medicine is necessary, even though it doesn't seem to help with the sleep. I have recently begun doing more research on what combinations could possibly do more harm than good because i also get regular allergy shots, and have an inhaler due to recent asthma like problems. DoodleDee, if you know of any other possible medicines that you have heard work for both headaches AND sleeplessness, i would gladly ask my Dr about it. Because I work at a retail store in the mall, I obviously could use any sleep aid (that my body won't get addicted to- it tends to get used to pills and make them less effective) i can get going into the holiday season. Headaches will get worse i am sure as well. So you can see the predicament i am in. If ANYONE has any other ideas i will gladly try them!