Joy's surgery

Just thought everyone would want to know I got a text from joy’s husband and she came through surgery with no complications. 3 hours - a good time and sign. At last update he would be able to see her probably right around now. If I hear anymore I will let ya know. Let’s all keep her in our thoughts and prayers for an easy recovery. And yes even after my suggestion to smack him in the head with a thumbtack he did give me the update. Lol

Thanks for the update of good news so far! She's been on my mind all morning.

Diana

I am so happy to hear that... been thinking about her all day. Thanks for the update!

Thank you Beeba !!!! I am also glad you are doing so well after your surgery !!!

So glad to hear she is doing well. Will continue to keep her in my thoughts and prayers.

Hello and bless you all for your concern. Right now I am in about an 8/9 on the oain scale as it awoke me from a deep sleep. I have been give several meds and I will be able to have my second set of rotation in about 45 minutes so I have something to look forward to.

As Beeba said I have a smelly neighbor and surprise, surprise she snores really loud, sleeps with her TV on as well as a fan. Thank goodness for Tracy’s music suggestion. I actually brought my Ipod and headphones so I have been listening to movies in order to sleep. I also made a playlist with some of the more mellow songs I like before I left so that may ne next. I have 30+ days of music on this thing so it is safe to assume I won’t run out.

I have been able, with assistance to get up and use the restroom twice which Pleases the nurse and I think will make it easier in the morning when my doctor wants me to walk.

I was able to keep down a little tasteless soup as well which is a good thing as I am taking a combination of both pill form and IV meds.

Having now become Zipperhead myself I must say the people who try this with only Tylenol are insane. Not an opion…that is straight up fact.

Thanks again for the wrll wishes. Also by sending this I know only have 30 minutes until more+ meds!

Joy

Beeba,

I will keep Joy in my prayers and send her some healing energy. Let her know that we are thinking about her and hope she has a smooth recovery. Please keep us updated..................Wendy

So glad that you are doing well Joy... We are all here for you if you need anything at all.

{{{hug}}} Mendy

Update : Today started out well. I Was in pain but able to go to the bathroom on my own and even take a very short walk with help from my hubby as ordered by my surgeon. I also was allowed to take a nice long hot shower and wash my hair which I must say was the the best shower ever because I felt so gross like I had dreadlocks. I was told that I would be able to have my pain meds once I got out if the shower so I figured it was all good. This is when my day went down hill. There was an issue with the pain meds due to a sensitivity that was noted as an allergy so it was almost 7 hours between pain meds. The pain was so bad that I was crying and almost collapsed on my doctor ordered walk. Needless to say I didn’t go home. They are starting to get the pain regulated and regularly giving me heat packs to help as well…highly recommend the heat packs as I was getting cold earlier and though that helped with my headaches they make my neck stiff now.

Thank you all for your concern. I hope by me sharing my not super scary story it shows how different everyone is.

Joy

My NS didn't let me out of bed for 3 days. He said that you should be lying flat to prevent csf leaks. They kept me hooked up to a foley bag and IVs to prevent me from getting up. I had compression stockings on the prevent blood clots. I didn't leave until post-op day 5. My NS ordered me to lie down flat for 30 minutes for every 2 hours that I was up for 2 weeks after i was home. (also to prevent csf leaks) You should be resting not walking. Make sure you get a prescription for a months worth of strong pain killers and muscle relaxants. I tried to be a martyr and not take the strong stuff. Pain pills are made for people in pain. I still take a 1/2 a vicodin or muscle relaxant in the late afternoon and i'm 3 months post-op. I did have a c5-c6 laminoplasty while he was in there to relieve my the stenosis of my spine. The weight of my head on my neck at the end of the day is too much for all the muscles that are still healing. I hope you get relief and get home soon. Don't push yourself.

It is amazing to hear all the different things everyone is told. I know that the walking etc is standard for all patients that are currently going through the Chiari center at Mayfield Clinic because the surgeons meet frequently to peer review all cases and ensure standard practices. My doctor was very clear on that.

For me walking helps. I only walk as far as I can. There is a short walk to a windo w with a pretty view and then a "long " walk to the fish tank where I sit and watch them for a few minutes. I must admit that this does really make me sleepy. I too have compression cuffs on just as a precaution.

I am happy to report that I had a wonderful nurse last night that really helped by staying on top of my meds last so right now I can say I am at my most comfortable level yet…a 5.

Thanks again for your support.

Jiy

I really appreciate the updates Joy! I will be having surgery next Tuesday and I always try to read everyone updates after surgery. It helps give me different views of what it may be like after surgery and what i have to look forward to! I wish you a speedy, less painful recovery!

Jen…please feel free to message me for anything. I have gotten so much wonderful support from this group that I really want to give back to others.

More good news for me…I get to go home!

Joy, I'm so happy you are getting to go home. Thank heavens for a good nurse that kept on top of your pain meds. I personally think getting up and walking helps with recovery. Just remember to listen to your body.

My other motherly suggestion is rest, rest, and rest so you can heal.

Many blessings!

Diana

I promise I will rest. My caretaker for the next few days is my minimally invasive sister so it will be great. She will make sure I do.

Thank you Joy! I can't beleive you're going home already! Thats encouraging!