Incision healing time

My Internet went down after I wrote out my question the first time, so I apologize if this posts twice!

As I’ve mentioned in other threads, I’m a little more than 4 weeks post op and doing awesome. I’m actually going back to work in a week.

I really feel almost back to normal in most aspects, except for the actual incision itself. It just now feels about the worst it’s felt the entire time, which is not by any means unbearable, just uncomfortable. The incision feels tight and achy. I did not have staples, just dissolvable stitches and glue.

My question is, when does the incision stop feeling tender and start feeling like regular skin again?

Thx in advance for any feedback!

It took a LONG time for my incision site to be normal again, months at least. There are a few things I found weird about the incision healing process, one that my post-surgical swelling stayed a few months. It just felt like I had a fat area back there and and then boom, one day it just went away and I am left with kind of a divet where the bone was removed. Also, I used to get shooting pains and weird buzzing sensations in my scalp on the left side for a long time. (sorry, that is the only way I can describe it)

Really weird, I was told it was all normal parts of healing. (the incision, the muscle and the nerve endings) Although, doesn't it seem like neurosurgeons aren't really impressed easily anyway? LOL, I swear I would have had to grow an alien out of the side of my head for my neurosurgeon to be fazed at all. They are a strange breed, neurosurgeons.

I definitely think I’m ready to go back to work. My first 2 weeks will be part time, then if all goes well FT the 3rd week. I have a desk job so hopefully should be ok.

Thanks for the replies about the incision. I think I would feel a lot better if I had pain meds, but I only have a few left and then my doctor doesn’t want me taking them anymore. But I’ve been through worse so I guess I can get through this.

I'm 13 weeks post op and my incision will sometimes feel very tight. I think it's related to muscle fatigue because it seems worse when I've been very active. My NS says it takes a long time for the muscles to return to normal because they underwent such trauma during the surgery.

BUT… I’m so glad you’re doing great!!! Wow