Post op ?'s / concerns

I am 4 weeks post op. Recently the top of my incision area has been bothering me and it hurts bad, like sharp pains and I can’t stand to touch near the area. Also, my neck and back of head feel so tight and stiff. My neck has been hurting on the left side pretty much since surgery, and I still can’t turn my head to the left without a lot of pain. Why would one side hurt more than the other? Are all of these things normal? I think I did way too much early on because I thought I was doing so well, which set me back some. I don’t feel that I am doing as well as I should be at this point in recovery and it’s starting to get to me. I am terrified at the thought of driving at this point because I don’t have good range of motion. I still have two weeks before my post op appointment, but I’m wondering how others did with recovery. I just thought that I would be doing better by now and looking for input / advice from others.

Hi Mrs. M,

I too have similar feeling from my incision site. My NS believes the feeling is from nerves under the scalp. I am many years post op now and still have hyper sensation in my scar. Often times it feels like someone is pulling my hair and it is relentless. I have found some benefit to capsicum creams. Pain is serious and only you know your threshold. If your symptoms do not improve soon, perhaps call your NS. As far as your recovery time, please remember you just had a major brain surgery and you should give yourself plenty of time to heal. It's gonna get better. I hope you start feeling better soon and my thoughts and prayers go out to you.

Did they send u home with a list of exercises to do to work out the stiffness and pain? Is there any sores or leaking at the incision site?

Side to side and up and down and left to right. A few tmes a day, the sooner after surgery you start the more it helps with skin tightening as it heals. After my first ganglionectomy i couldnt move my head left or right or up and down for 3 months, was miserable.But this ganglionectomy and decompression i woke up from surgery and could move my head around.

They told me to move head to each side and eventually try to get ear to shoulder. No way I can do that. I sent my neurosurgeon a message and she said to stop exercises for now. There are no sores or leaking, just a lot of pain.

Allura said:

Did they send u home with a list of exercises to do to work out the stiffness and pain? Is there any sores or leaking at the incision site?

Mrs B, I had the scalp thing pretty severe after surgery, combing my hair was terrible. I’m 4 months out and that issue is almost completely gone. As for the headache are you taking a muscle relaxer? I have taken a low dose flexiril since my first surgery, if I stop it for a few days my headache increases. Another idea, and I’m drawing from own experience here, is maybe a pain med you are taking could be causing a next day hangover headache/done type if rebound headache. Anything with opiates or even valium give a ringer the next day. Aside from these I think I month out is still super early in recovery. I believe it is normal to be having pain and believe it will get better in the next few months. How is your anxiety level? Are you feeling pressure to be to normal?

Jenn

Hi Jenn,

Thank you for your response. I haven’t been on in a few days. I only take the pain meds if I cannot get relief from Aleve and Cyclobenzaprine, which I think is generic for Flexeril. I have been trying to move my head around more. It is feeling a bit better, but my ns just ordered physical therapy. I haven’t been yet, but guess I will soon. I also go to my post op appointment this week.

Do you have any questions that you asked at post op that I need to as well? I had a list going, but I misplaced it. :-(. I am stressed out thinking about trying to get back to work and take care of my children and home. I just don’t have my energy level back yet. I get tired so easily. So, I guess I am feeling pressure to be normal. This is so frustrating too :frowning:

Hi

I am about 6 weeks post-op and feeling similar. I am finding out that recovery takes longer than you think. And, that everyone is different. I am feeling better than expected and have my post op apt in about 3 weeks. I am only on one pain med and only take it when I need it. I use a lot of ice packs. My energy level is also low. I too am in education and would love to get back to my class. Some questions I am going to ask is:

What is normal for range of motion? What is the normal recovery time? Any other questions you have, I would also be interested in?

Thanks for your response. I will be 6 weeks post op this Wednesday and my appointment is Thursday. I wonder why some people have post ops at 6 weeks and some later on. I was using ice , but switched to heat because I was too cold …ha! They both seem to help, in different ways. I had a great first week post op, well after that first night after surgery. Even did so good in hospital that I got to leave a lot sooner than expected. I just wish my energy level was better at this point. I knew I would be sore, but the neck pain is more than I anticipated. On a positive note i have notices a big change in my headaches, a lot less than before. Looking forward and optimistic that I continue to see more and more improvements.

Thanks for the comment. I possibly spoke too soon. Shortly after my post, I developed an infection and was rehospitalized. I spent two weeks in hospital with an infection and am now at home on IV antibiotics. However, the pain is not bad and I am glad to be home. More improvements are prayed for and hope all continues to go well for you. Sounds good. Keep smiling and praying.

I'm about 4 weeks post op and feel the pulling on the back also. I also feel woozy and tired most of the time. I had dizziness before the surgery and I'm worried that this wooziness will not go away. The nurse practioner told me that most people don't begin to feel better until at least 6 weeks. Did anyone feel woozy after their surgery?