I'm having surgery on Monday, June 9th

Good evening all! I went to the NS today. Dr. Barth at Maine Neurosurgery & Spine today. He was AWESOME!!! He was very patient as he listened to me and what's been going on. He spoke about all the possible complications and that he was sure after talking to others with Chiari Malformations over the last 20 years that I have many of the same symptoms. He is optimistic that the surgery will eventually over time alleviate the majority of my symptoms. Best yet, he answered every one of my and my husbands questions, patiently and completely. No arrogance or annoyance as I have seen in other surgeons.

I'm going to be admitted at 6 am with surgery to follow at 7:15.

I will continue to update you on how Dr. Barth and Maine General in Portland, Maine are for treatment. Maine Gen does remarkable work, but I've never been there as a patient, only a family member of a patient.

I'm nervous, but calmer than I was before I went to Dr. Barth.

Oh, best part, my daughter got emergency leave to come home and help me recoperate! I haven't seen her since last July when I drove to Bragg to help her after her wisdom teeth were removed.

Shandier, I’m very happy for you. Sending positive vibes and prayers for you and your surgeon. You are going to do great. Will you please check in with us as you feel up to it.

Jenn

Great to hear, Shandier! I hope everything goes well for you, and I’m very glad to hear that your daughter will be able to take emergency leave to help you out. Best of luck to you, and please do keep us updated!

Hey Shandier! You are in my prayers for a speedy recovery and much relief form your surgery tomorrow. I had surgery 5 days ago and it was one of the best decisions of my life! I know it can be scary but when you wake up from surgery you will be so relieved! Anticipating the surgery is way worse than how you feel afterwards. I’m early in but I’m looking forward to seeing what symptoms I will have relieved! Best of wishes to you for your surgery tomorrow stay positive you’ll do great! Take care and let us know how you are doing when you can! Also if you have any question today about surgery I will check back in a few hours I’m happy to answer anything!?

Emmaline I have to tell you that it gives me the chills when I hear you say your life is about change because it is so true! Those are some of the most powerful words! Take care!

Shandlier, I'm so glad you have a date. I'm just starting my process. I hope it doesn't take to long. YOu will be in my prayers, please keep us updated.

Thanks everyone. I'm leaving for the hospital in a little bit. Surgery is at 7:15 am. I'm very nervous, but hoping for a great outcome. It may take a few days, but I'll be back as soon as I'm able.

Hey Shandier! Hope your doing well in your recovery relax and take care of yourself let us know how you’re doing when you can. take care!

Best wishes to you for a speedy recovery!

Hi all! I'm got home today. Textbook operation even though the NS had to shave some of C1 too. My headache is GONE! I have a great deal of pressure around the base of my skull, but that is normal and will get better with healing. Not sure if there are any other benefits other than the headache, but that's a lot in my book.

Thank you all for the well wishes and thoughts. I appreciate it more than you'll know.

Shandier this is wonderful news, I am so happy for you. Now just rest, rest, rest!

Jenn

Shandier said:

Hi all! I'm got home today. Textbook operation even though the NS had to shave some of C1 too. My headache is GONE! I have a great deal of pressure around the base of my skull, but that is normal and will get better with healing. Not sure if there are any other benefits other than the headache, but that's a lot in my book.

Welcome home Shandier.....So glad you did well and SO GLAD your headache is relieved. If my final diagnosis after my MRI is the Chiari and my NS wants to proceed with surgery he has me signed up after hearing this. Not having a headache has to be a great benefit....I know after all this time I would be thrilled. Did you have other symptoms prior to the surgery that you see some relief or changes from.

Wishing you the very best, Rest and heal thyself!

Lily

Thank you all for the well wishes and thoughts. I appreciate it more than you'll know.

Hey Shandier! Wonderful I’m so glad to hear your home and doing well! I also have some pressure at the base of my skull and some fullness in my ears after surgery. I’m glad your headaches are gone. Take care or yourself rest and wishes for a speedy recovery!

Terrific to hear that everything went well, Shandier! Hope you have a smooth and speedy recovery!

So glad to hear you are already seeing improvements! :) In my experience it takes a year or more to see the full improvements so hopefully this is just the start!