How to deal with every day life with chiari

I have headaches everyday along with nausea and being tired. I get depressed when I can’t do the things I use too. Any suggestion on how to deal with it.

Crying a lot always makes me feel better. I know it sounds weird but I feel so bad and sorry for myself it is pitiful! Lol I want someone to understand but no one does. My husband is great, but tries to fix things, and headaches and depression is hard to just fix.
Lyrics, and Valium ( in very low doses) has helped the stress tight feeling in the neck that is where my headache starts.
I had severe depression after surgery, cried all the time. The dr told me it was normal and over the past few months it has gotten better! I am eight months post op. I went back to work after six weeks and sleep all most all the rest of the time I am off. I am a nurse working on my masters degree part time and work 12 hr shifts, 3 a week. Being around other people at work is good and keeps me busy and not focused on how much I hurt or not.
I hope this helps you. I try to stay positive and not focus on the pain and bad parts. It is nice to have this blog to vent on!!!

1 Like

My husband don’t understand the pain and why I hurt. There days it so bad I just want stop living but deep down I want keep fighting. My eight dogs keep me busy a lot too. I had the surgery done two years ago. It help some but it just came back worse. I get depressed when I can’t do the things I was did. Can’t get a job and having fight for disability. Just like today I sneeze and cough my head is hurting and feel like it going bust.

Robaxin 500mg 3x a day and mobic 15mg 1x in morning helps me a lot with the neck and head pain. I don't wake up with such bad pain as I did previously. For the nausea I take Zofran 4mg 1-3x a day. Valium 5mg at nite helps me with the sea sickness when lying down. You may want to consider going to a pain management doctor if other doctors give you a hard time giving you meds.

If you are still having those symptoms you should really go get another mri and schedule a follow up appt. I've read that some people need several surgeries to fully fix the CM.

Yep, husbands can be a pain. Just break it down for him, I'm sure he'll listen ... Lol. My suggestion as above go get checked out. Just keep in mind you know your in pain and don't let anyone tell you you're not. Big hugs and good luck.

1 Like

Wow! Well I don’t feel like I’m all alone now! I’m trying to work with all the chronic pain and husband don’t understand because I have always pushed through no matter what. I had decompression nearly 4 years ago and symptoms are way worse now and migraines on top of that! I’ve had constant pressure in eyes and years and feels like ants crawling on my face for about 5 months with no relief or answers. I sometimes get electric joints of pain From my neck through my arms and my neck kills me! Pain management tried the block injection but no relief and said there was nothing more he could do. I’m at a loss. I take topimax 50 mg and I’m in costant pain my neurologist and neurosurgeon just keep passing me back and forth! I’m in worse condition now than I was prior to surgery! My vision is going fast! I have people ask am I sure I don’t have ms too… I’m not sure of anything! any suggestions??? I feel like I’m losing it

Deena you not alone in this,I been so I’ll the last few days until I think I’m losising my mind. I get confused and have black out. Also I forget what I’m doing and how to do things. So tired today and don’t know we’re to start. I feel like screaming and crying today. I’m about to the point that I don’t know were to turn. I have went four days now with no sleep just pain at night. Can’t get any doctor to understand I need something to help with pain. I feel like the doctor don’t care about how I feel any more.

I’m 19 months post op I’ve been suffering from severe neck and back pain now after surgery nothing seems to help me . When I lay dow it sounds as if something in my head is cracking. I know it sounds crazy, with all this pain I think I’m going crazy trying to cop with it daily The headaches are back. I just recently broke down crying, no one in my house can’t understand the pianism in daily. I’ve started feeling like I’m going to justnpaaa out is this. Normal?

Having problems with eye’s cant seem to open as well in the morning the other morning I had to use my own fingers to open and when lying down fluid is like a river like iam crying anybody have this

Try asking your Dr about gabapentin pills, it’s a nerve related pill. You could start at a low dose work up and it’s not addictive. Also try ice packs, it seems to help me slot. Wishing you all the best!

Hello, no you are not crazyy, or are you alone. I have had 2 decompression and a corpectomy with c5 to c7 with fusion. I am 18 months out from my last decompression, a few months ago my pain and vertigo have worsenee5, last month I felt more pain in my dimple, that’s what I call my site, I had an infection in the area, just got into doc to get blood work, and had a mri of my neck yesterday. I am blessed to have a living husband and two sons who put up with me. This new pain comes with spasms in my head that go down my neck, I use big ice packs. For me I have found recovery yoga helps with the pain and it clears my mind. Google some, but go slow listen to your body and fake deep breathes. I hope this finds you b a Ving a good day, and I will send positive thoughtx your way. K

Kim_Rivas I empathise with your pain and frustration physically, mentally and emotionally: I think it’s really hard for others to know how you feel and what you’re going through and as hard as this is at times try not to get too upset by it. Before I had my symptoms I would never have understood what it was like or that I could have so many symptoms. Worse still to not be able to get clear answers and treatment options is really horrible and certainly makes one feel like they are not validated in what is happening. I have a whole new respect and perspective on people who suffer similar symptoms to me regardless of what medical condition they have because I can relate to it. It’s a hard blow but I have to believe that it has made me a better person in some respects for simply experiencing and understanding the impact it has on lives. Stay strong and don’t lose hope :blush:

Hello everyone,

I just got a daith piercing in my left ear yesterday, I heard it might help with the chronic pain. I did alot of research and found a professional and sterile salon and a piercer with alot of experience, I noticed the difference as soon as the needle made the pop noise going through the cartlilage of my left ear. I chose the left ear because I also have meneires in that ear, an inner ear disease that causes vertigo and nausea. Well, so far so good, my pain as lessened a great deal to feel the difference, not as many meds and my vertigo and buzzing have also decreased. To me it was worth the try, a little pain to ease chronic pain.

I will try and keep everyone posted on how I am doing with it.

I hope this finds everyone having a good day. K

1 Like