Hospital Stay

I have a feeling this is already on here somewhere, but I scheduled my surgery yesterday and I’m wondering what I should pack/buy for my stay at the hospital? What will I need to take with me? Thanks.

1)I would take a few pillows from home (pillow protectors and dark pillowcases would also be a good idea).

2) A blanket, I always feel cold when I'm in the hospital and their blankets suck lol.

3) Phone numbers of people you want your family members to contact for updates.

4)Very comfortable clothes for when you come home. I preferred a button front shirt or very loose collared shirt for coming home in ( you wont want to pull anything over your head because of the incision).

5)Your cell phone, pen and paper to write down any questions you might have for your doctor.

6)Slippers and a robe, they will require you walk a little before discharge.

Other than that, you really wont need anything, you will be out of it and with the brain fog, it's unlikely you will be able to concentrate on a book or games or anything like that. You wont be bored, you'll be tired.

(Obviously the above is based only on my experience)

Good luck with your surgery, when is the scheduled date?

I brought: comfy clothes, slip on shoes, my Kindle for reading, travel bag with toothpaste and toothbrush, deodorant, and my cellphone. I started a group text to everyone I wanted to alert telling them that my husband would update them after surgery. Then he just had to go into that text to update and everyone I wanted to alert was notified.

The group text is a great idea Anglyn, I'm going to have to remember that if I am ever hospitalized again- It would make it so much easier for my husband.

Anglyn said:

I brought: comfy clothes, slip on shoes, my Kindle for reading, travel bag with toothpaste and toothbrush, deodorant, and my cellphone. I started a group text to everyone I wanted to alert telling them that my husband would update them after surgery. Then he just had to go into that text to update and everyone I wanted to alert was notified.

I have my surgery in just under 2 weeks, I have been told to take sneakers not slippers for walking in. They will want to see you walk before discharging you and slippers will not give you the support you need.

The group text is a great idea I will definitely do that instead of writing a list of numbers down, I'm going to go out and buy some extra pillowcases and protectors this weekend.

Good Luck with your surgery Missa!

I wouldn’t have liked sneakers, unless they were the kind that you could put on without bending over. When the physical therapist came by to get me walking, it was at an hour when I didn’t have any family members visiting so sneakers wouldn’t have been practical. I didn’t have any issues with support, my slippers had a rubber sole so that helped. Just make sure whatever you bring can easily slip on and off and you should be fine :slight_smile:

And good luck with your upcoming surgery helsb83!

Thanks Wendy - and rubber-soled slippers maybe I should go buy a pair :) Reading what you said sneakers does not make sense unless you can get them on and off without bending or had help. Thinking now that I should maybe take both just in case.

Lol Beeba, you crack me up. I’m the same kind of patient. Been around the block too many times to be compliant. And that leads me to my next suggestion, i totally forgot- i always put some snacks in my bag. Always. Hospital food sucks and often you will miss meal time because of a test or procedure and come back to cold food that sucks. I am not suggesting eating something your doctor would advise against, just having a back up plan kwim?