Getting a second opinion

I have decided to get a second opinion with Dr. Arnold Menezes at the Univ of Iowa. My appt is Oct 12 at 11am CST. Does anyone here have any experience with him? I’m worried he will tell me I shouldn’t have surgery after Dr. Heffez said I should. Then what?

My other thought is that he personally reviews your records to decide if you should be a patient of his. I’m guessing if he thought it wasn’t worth it he wouldn’t have taken me.

Any thoughts, advice, opinions?

Hi Mindy....

I too, got a 2nd opinion.....Luckily, the 2 NS's agreed I would benefit from surgery.....I am not sure what I would have done if the 2nd opinion differed...I guess, I still would have had the operation with my original NS ..mainly b/c my symptoms were so bad and 1st and foremost my NS is well known and respected..as is your doctor...Dr. Heffez.....I have read only good things about him....do you feel comfortable with Heffez?????

Keep us updated..how are you feeling these days????

Peace,

Lori

I have been told by the doctors I work with that Dr. Menezes is a world recognized NS. If he says surgery is warranted then I am going to have it done here in Iowa City which is basically where I live. He has written one of the papers on decompression surgery that is published in one of the support sites for Chiari patients.

Dr. Heffez I think is a great doctor. I have a couple concerns with things not being in my records correctly and different than what he told me in person. I would just rather have it done closer to home if possible.

My headaches are still constant. My neck and shoulder are getting very stiff and painful. I am getting terrible pain in my arms and legs making it very hard to sleep. The nausea is still terrible.

He wrote the surgery part of the ASAP patient handbook that is here on the Chiari site in resources.

lori said:

Hi Mindy....

I too, got a 2nd opinion.....Luckily, the 2 NS's agreed I would benefit from surgery.....I am not sure what I would have done if the 2nd opinion differed...I guess, I still would have had the operation with my original NS ..mainly b/c my symptoms were so bad and 1st and foremost my NS is well known and respected..as is your doctor...Dr. Heffez.....I have read only good things about him....do you feel comfortable with Heffez?????

Keep us updated..how are you feeling these days????

Peace,

Lori

My son has an appt with Dr. Menezes next Wednesday, Sept. 28. I am very anxious to see what he has to say. I have heard great things about him. Good luck with your appt!

He already knows because all my records were sent there. Why do you say that?

razzle51 said:

dont tell Dr. Menenez you are seeing Dr. Heffez

Hi Mindy.....

I don't blame you to want the surgery done near home....thats what I chose. Sounds like Dr. Menezes is well respected in the Chiari world....since he has published info on the condition....ect

Oct 12th cannot come soon enough for you, I bet.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Love,

Lori