Enlarged ventricles

Hi all!

I was decompressed in June 2010. I had many complications, one of which was meningitis. I have been having bad headaches, dizziness, and vomiting so I went in for another checkup in December. After several tests, it turns out I have enlarged ventricles (the chambers in the brain that hold the CSF), most likely from the meningitis last summer. Docs say they want to wait and do another mri in 6 months and see if it goes down on its own, otherwise the only other option is a shunt. HELP! Has anyone else been in a situation even somewhat similar to mine? Is there really nothing I can do, but wait? The headaches are horrible and are disrupting my everyday life--HELP!

I don't know if their is anything else you can do. but I have a shunt and have had one my hole live. Yes the thought of having one is a scarry thought but if it comes to that you will be ok. I have had only tube lenthgenings until I was in my 30's. If you want to talk to some one send me an email I will respond as soon as I can.

Dan

Thanks for all the responses. I have a question for you guys--why did you get the shunts? Hydrocephalus? I had an infection from my decompression surgery from the bovine patch, so my NS is worried that my body might not respond well to a foreign object (the shunt). Also, I went back to school this semester, so my NS wants to try to get me through this semester first before doing anymore surgeries (I've had 3 in the last 6 months). UGH, I don't know what to do, I'm in a lot of pain, but I want to get my life back in order!

I have a birth defect called spina bifida. I had hydrocephalis from birth. I will try to explain my story to you in my case most people are born wih what I call a natural sponge that drain the csf from your head. For some reason alot of spina bifida patient it does not work so most of us have them put in when we are born. I am in school too what is your major ? I am just finally getting my life back in order too.

Stacy Marie Burton said:

Thanks for all the responses. I have a question for you guys--why did you get the shunts? Hydrocephalus? I had an infection from my decompression surgery from the bovine patch, so my NS is worried that my body might not respond well to a foreign object (the shunt). Also, I went back to school this semester, so my NS wants to try to get me through this semester first before doing anymore surgeries (I've had 3 in the last 6 months). UGH, I don't know what to do, I'm in a lot of pain, but I want to get my life back in order!

I called and talked with another NS today who said he wouldn’t put a shunt in right now either, he would rather take the wait and see approach as well. But, he does think I should be taking some sort of medication for the headaches, so he is going to talk to the neurologist and see if they can come up with something. He also mentioned getting a lumbar puncture done. I should be hearing back from him early next week–what a relief to know that SOMETHING is going to be done!

**UPDATE**

Met with my neurologist again. He switched up my medication to try to help relieve the headaches, help me sleep better at night, and to make me less drowsy. He also scheduled me for a lumbar puncture in May (once the school semester is done), and once he gets the results back from that, we will decide where to go from there. I'll most likely have another MRI in June. But for right now, we are going to try everything we can before we even think about a shunt.

Thats good. why put a shunt in if you don’t need it.