Does anyone experience gagging?

My daughter is 12 and has a lot of chiari symptoms like numbness, headaches, constant neck pain. She has had a mild problem with choking but recently she gags and throws up usually just mucus after eating, drinking, chewing gum and brushing her teeth. It is starting to get more severe. It has happened 6 times in the last 2 days. Her Dr. wants to do decompression surgery but wants to be certain the symptoms are chiari related. She is supposed to have a swallow study done but not sure when yet. She is at the point to where she doesn’t even want to eat! I am just very worried about her.

Thanks for replying. Have you had a decompression surgery? We are really considering it for her.

Twitch said:

Poor kid. Sorry to hear that she’s going through that.

In the last month or two, I constantly feel like something is stuck in the back of my throat. Almost like I’m choking on something. I spend an hour each morning coughing and hacking. It hasn’t gotten bad enough to where I’ve started to gag.

From what I have read, throat problems vary depending on the Chiari patient. Some have symptoms like mine. Some gag with everything (even water). Some lose their gag reflex altogether. From what I understand, it’s all related.

At this point, there isn’t a single symptom, listed or unlisted, that I wouldn’t theorize as Chiari related. There has been so little in depth, comprehensive research done on the disorder, that it’s nearly impossible to find a “complete” list of symptoms out there.

I wish you and your daughter the best. Please keep me updated on her condition. If you need anything, let me know.

I thought that only happened to me. I am sorry she is experiencing those problems. Dysphagia is no fun. Then when you add all the mucus it's terrible. Twitch, I also feel like things are stuck in my throat. Please know you will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Tracy Z.

Sorry to hear she is going through that. I also have a 12 year old daughter. She gags with everything even water. Her's started out once in while and just keeps getting worse. If she is really having a bad day with it then I give her soup or applesauce. She still gags on it but she say it does not feel like her throat is all scratch up after she is done gaging. I agree with what Twitch said about it being Chiari related. Wish you two the best.

Susan