Chocking

I am new to this site so Im sorry if this has already been asked. One thing that I do not know about Chiari is if chocking is normal. I get chocked so easily and so much, does anyone else have this problem? Is it related to Chiari?

Hi Alyson,

I am sorry you are having swallowing problems, but dysphagia (swallowing problems) is very common to Chiarians. We also have a lot of mucus in our throats when we can't swallow.

Tracy Z.

I think besides the migraines and the respiratory issues going on the choking is one of the worst

Thanks yall. I had not found anywhere that told about chocking with this and it has been getting much worse over the years. I hate it. Im glad to know though that I dont have something else wrong.... I think I have enough.

stress cause me to have a hard time swallowing

Hi Alyson,

Yes choking is a symptom. I currently am having my 3rd nite of minimal sleep as it feels like a golf ball is stuck in the back of my throat. I see the neuro on May 3rd so I am waiting it out. My FP said she no longer gives prescriptions to muscle relaxants, which are the only thing that has helped in the past (We always thought my back pain was to to the car roll over I had in 1999) I feel your pain, as I know it feels like there is nothing you or anyone else can do to make it go away. Good luck. Make sure you let your Neuro know.

I could not remember if I had asked Dr Oro or not but noticed that it was getting worse. I can take a breathe and start chocking. I hate it. Thanks yall for sharing.

I recently had a Modified Barium Swallow test to address this. The speech pathologist could not say definantly that Chiari was causing my issue but my timing during swallowing is off, making it hard to make multiple swallows without choking. I told her it is also an effort to swallow sometimes and that my throat is always coated in mucus. She said the swallow reflex was neurological and from her research on Chiari there is a direct link.

Thank you. Great info. Is there anything that she suggested to help you?

Christina Gould said:

I recently had a Modified Barium Swallow test to address this. The speech pathologist could not say definantly that Chiari was causing my issue but my timing during swallowing is off, making it hard to make multiple swallows without choking. I told her it is also an effort to swallow sometimes and that my throat is always coated in mucus. She said the swallow reflex was neurological and from her research on Chiari there is a direct link.

She said for me to take controlled, single sips of liquid and avoid leafy foods because they dont adhere well together during swallowing. She also suggested drinking lots of water and staying away from Milk or any dairy product because it can make the mucus thicker. There is a treatment for the voice box timing malfunction but she felt like it would be a lost cause as long as I was still awaiting decompression surgery.

Alyson Celeste Miller Abbott said:

Christina Gould said:

Thank you!! Best of luck to you!

Christina Gould said:

She said for me to take controlled, single sips of liquid and avoid leafy foods because they dont adhere well together during swallowing. She also suggested drinking lots of water and staying away from Milk or any dairy product because it can make the mucus thicker. There is a treatment for the voice box timing malfunction but she felt like it would be a lost cause as long as I was still awaiting decompression surgery.

Alyson Celeste Miller Abbott said:

Christina Gould said: