Does anyone else know how to handle hyponatremia (low blood sodium)?

Hey,

I am 6 weeks post op today and recently saw on my discharge papers that I am hyponatremia (low blood sodium). I’ve been trying to read up on it and find out what that means, what might be causing it and how to counteract it without just not drinking any water. It is described as water intoxication, like I drink too much water and just flush out any good enzymes ad nutrients in the process. I see my NS on Thurs and will ask him but wanted to find out if anyone else knows anything about this. I have been swollen and know I’m retaining fluid but not so much that any traveling nurses who’ve checked on me seem to feel it is significant. I wonder how it is affecting my recovery and future. Thanks guys!
Randi
By the way, post op, my symptoms are worse than before except the head pain. I’ve had a good amount of help through local churches, to help me NOT over do (I have 7 children, 13 down to 9mons), which has been tremendous! But after 5 c-sections, this surgery nearly did me in, more than a few times! But, I’m alive!

Thanks. No, the dr didn’t say anything about it. I happened to be lookingg over my discharge papers from the hospital and saw it was noted as a complication. This last pregnancy and post pardum, I’ve been really swollen in comparisoon to any other time in my life (and I’ve even had twins!). I’ve seen that ibuprofen can cause it and keeps our bidies from producing the hormones we need to heal, regulate blood pressure and sodium levels in our blood, as well as, a few other fun things. I have been laying oof the ibuprofen and I guess I will have to start electrolytes AND talk to my dr about some tests. Thanks a lot for the advice!
Randi

I am very glad you are alive !!!

I also have low sodium. It was found when I was diagnosed with POTS- Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia in December. It's a type of Dysautonomia. Do you also get lightheaded when you stand or your heart rate increases when you stand? It is a related disorder to Chiari. Read these links and see if you may have any of the symptoms. I have been told by other Chiarians & my Cardiologist that Chiarians with POTS have a harder recovery than those without POTS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postural_orthostatic_tachycardia_syndrome

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/postural_tachycardia_syndrome/po...

I would love to have 7 children. I am sure you are overwhelmed, just know how truly blessed you are.

Sending a Prayer Your Way,

Tracy Z.

I had this after my second surgery. The anesthesia dries you out, and you get very thirsty and drink a a lot of water. Mine actually got very serious while I was in the hospital, leading to a longer stay, taking blood every two hours, and extra sodium. And the endocrine folks came in and removed my water pitcher, but Dr. Frim had them return it. But presumably you had it resolved before they discharged you.

JeanneS said:
I had this after my second surgery. The anesthesia dries you out, and you get very thirsty and drink a a lot of water. Mine actually got very serious while I was in the hospital, leading to a longer stay, taking blood every two hours, and extra sodium. And the endocrine folks came in and removed my water pitcher, but Dr. Frim had them return it. But presumably you had it resolved before they discharged you.

JeanneS,

Dr. Frim is doing my daughter’s surgery on Tuesday. Can I ask how your surgery went?

The pain is worse only because you just had your surgery. It will get better over time.

I feel your pain. I actually was able to get sodium pills from the drugstore which helped. They made me a bit sick to my stomach though. Pickles are also high in sodium and only 5 calories each.

Just me said:
JeanneS,

Dr. Frim is doing my daughter's surgery on Tuesday. Can I ask how your surgery went?

This is for Jeanne S. I tried to reply directly and wound up with a lot of computer gibberish. I assume your daughter already had her surgery aand I missed it or I’m not seeing things right and it is this coming Tues. Anyway, I’m sorry she has to go through this. The surgery itself went fine… I had no infections, leaks or any other nonsense that other’s have gone through. Ask, beg, plead for whatever pain relief needed though for her because it is very painful. For me, it took almost 4 weeks before my pain level went below a solid 7! As far as I’m concerned, that is too much! But, then there are the side affects of narcotics which for me including depression that led me to drastically reduce how much I was using because it got too hard to deal with that and pain. It is a delicate balance. After my 6 wk follow up visit with my NS, he told me I still need to be careful for at least another month - with 7 kids (four finishing up homeschooling for the year and a 3 yr old, infant and support that is surprised I’m not all better yet!) Kinda funny! Anyway, be the best mommy for her right now (no matter how old she is!) I got moments of “mommying” throughout this past 7 wks and they are what saw mme through. It is serious surgery and requires serious recouperation time! Remind her to eat well as she can once she is able to give her body everything she can tto heal itself and rest. One outing (like church today or going grocery shopping is still enough to wipe me out for the rest of the day!)
I will be praying for her! GOD knows her by name!
Hope this helped!
Randi

Randi,

I am not very good at computer stuff so not sure if I am even doing this correctly. My daughter is the one having surgery on Tuesday May 28th. I am so sorry you have so much to go through on top of being a homeschooling mom of 7! Thank you for the prayers, I will return the favor for a complete recovery for you. My daughter is 20 but she will always be my baby!