Depression / Anxiety

Does anyone else out there have depression and/or anxiety? Of course my doc thinks both are unrelated to the Chiari, but I disagree. All my chiari symptoms wax and wane at the same time, including the depression and anxiety. Doc suggested I could be bipolar! and put me on a bipolar med. Does nothing except give me horrible withdrawal symptoms if I try to stop it: shaking, insomnia, ears ringing ect. If you have anxiety or depression, what works for you? I've tried numerous antidepressants that do nothing, and only Klonopin works for the anxiety, but my doc can't or won't increase the dose. Anyone else ever been told they could be bipolar? Seems like a psyc diagnosis is just an easy way of ignoring symptoms that need to be resolved. Sorry I sound so cynical- it's just that I've been dealing with this chiari for 17 years now, and doctors seem to be less attuned than patients. Anyone ever successfully come off Geodon? If so. HOW??????? The stuff isn't helping me and makes me feel drunk.

bump

hi maggie

psych meds can do more harm than good.

try a light therapy box. google it. it can be used year-round, not just sad in winter.

also, try to be in daylight more.

I believe research shows it's just as effective as meds for dep., don't know about bipolar though.

Here, check this video out about anti-dep. I came across

http://youtu.be/xBBc3fEnwOw

Yes, and the sleep apnea and pain adds to it for sure.

Hi Maggie.I have just read a review of a book,which I have yet to read,called"Contents Under Pressure"by Raphael D Alonzo.

His story seems to be one of intense depression and anxiety linked to his long time sought after diagnoses with Chiari.Because of the pressure on the Cerebellum he says it definitely causes problems in these areas and, maybe , is giving you your symptoms.Could be worth reading.I hope you feel better . I do know how you feel.Good luck.

I do have dysautonomia. POTS is just one type of dysautonomia, but yes,I do have POTS too. I have 20 times the normal amount of adrenalin circulating in my blood when I stand up. Mayo Clinic did this test. No, I don't meet the diagnostic criteria for bipolar disorder, nor do I want to! I just can't get of this crazy med (Geodon) that my doctor thought would help me. Just makes me feel drunk. When I try to come off, the anxiety becomes unbearable. Wish I had declined it! Was optional, as I don't meet the diagnostic criteria. Thanks for asking.

Depression and, in particular, anxiety are often considered primitive brain functions. I am not a neuroscientist but, I would imagine that any pressure in the, say, brainstem could produce problems in primitive brain function. These signals would be sent to the midbrain and then interpreted as danger, which makes us anxious. These are just my opinions from a lay perspective.

From my perspective as a therapist, diagnosis of mood disorders are based solely upon whether or not you fit the symptoms listed in the Diagnostic and Statistic Manual. This means that no circumstances in your life or experience are pertinent.

For instance, if I am anxious all the time I will be diagnosed with some kind of anxiety disorder. For many clinicians, no factors in my life will influence that diagnosis. The fact that I cannot depend on my body to carry me through a day will not be relevant. The fact that all the primitive parts of my brain, where signals are generated and responded to, is being squished will similarly not matter. You get the idea.

I am not saying that no-one is ever suffering from depression or an anxiety disorder. Far from it. What I am saying is that the diagnostic process is flawed.

From that personal place, again, I could see where I might be diagnosed as having Bipolar because the variance between good and bad days is pretty significant.

Also, remember, your doctor may have very little training in mental health diagnosis. If you feel the medications do not help, I would seriously consider at least a conversation about reducing or stopping them completely.

If you feel that anxiety, depression or Bipolar are possibilities, see a professional who is trained to address those specific concerns.

I am not a prescriber and I certainly am not advocating that you ignore your doctor. But, you know your body and you wouldn't trust a dentist to dole out cardiology meds or a cardiologist to do your brain surgery.

Do be sure that if you do decide to reduce or stop the meds, you are carefully monitored.

Those are my thoughts, for what they're worth. I guess to get back to your original question - yes, the squashing of the brain can cause anxiety, depression etc. Those are essentially linked to autonomic function.