Anti-depressants/anti-anxiety medications

Hello Chiari friends,

As I'm sure you all know, the symptoms of Chiari wax and wane. I have known about my Chiari for almost 5 years now, I have a 5-6 mm herniation and have never had surgery. I have been turning to this board for encouragement more and more lately as I seem to be in a bad period, symptom wise. I feel fortunate that although my headaches are certainly increasing in frequency and severity, I wouldn't say pain is my primary problem. I am far more bothered by the neurological disturbances such as dizziness and brain fog. Lately on an almost daily basis, I have a brief spell where I feel like I can't think straight or process information. Sometimes it is accompanied by the sensation of warmth throughout my body, like I am about to faint. Interestingly, I am acutely aware of this in my mind, so then I start to panic. And this is where my question is. I feel like I may need to take medication for my anxiety. I am hesitant about this because I don't want the label of "anxious" patient. I feel quite justified in my anxiety and feel any person that was experiencing the symptoms that we do would be anxious! It's pretty hard to be going about my daily activities or at work, and feel like I am suddenly going to pass out. But I feel like I have gotten to the point of constant thought and worry about how Chiari is impacting my life. No surprise, I also feel pretty down about all of this as well. Have any of you taken anti-depressants for the feelings you have around this diagnosis? Were they helpful to your overall outlook and symptoms?

I did find some encouragement lately in a bible study I have been doing and thought perhaps some of you might as well. It said, "God never wastes suffering. Trials work for us, not against us. If we trust God and surrender to Him, trials will produce patience, perseverance and maturity in the lives of our family." (This is a bible study on parenting, but I also think it applies on an individual basis.)

John 16:33 "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."

Thank you for any advice you may have!

Hi Co Mama,

I am sorry you are having worse symptoms. Are getting faint & dizzy when you are standing by any chance?