Complications after surgery?

I’m asking this question for a friend. She had decompression surgery on November 9th. The next week she was in excruciating pain and had to have surgery to repair a CSF leak. She has gone back and forth since then between feeling ok one minute to excruciating pain the next. She has horrible pulsating migraines and says there is a lot of pressure behind her eyes. She has been on bedrest for the last week. The dr says there is no fluid leaking from the incision so there is not another CSF leak. She has been in the hospital since her original surgery on the 9th. Has anyone else had experience with these complications after decompression surgery and can you give her any advice. I have told her to call another neurosurgeon and get a 2nd opinion.

Hey there.....

100% agree with Emmaline....My NS told me that same thing!! ANd everyone is different...may take longer in some to regulate..others , not so long~~

Keep us posted.

Man that really sucks, I'm sorry. Did she have any MRI's done after the operation?

Thank you for your responses. Nope Bill no CT scans yet she is still in the hospital on bed rest. I will let her know what you said thank you so much!

She should probably request an MRI…I was in the hospital for 8 days after my decompression and had a CT scan and an MRI because of the amount of pain I was in. Also make sure she has someone advocating for her…so important because they will let you slip though the cracks!

Yes...well said Sslakemom!

Also if the pain and pressure is realllly bad and doesn't subside, and there is no leaking... the neurosurgeon should get a CINE MRI to make sure the CSF is flowing correctly (and that they did their job correctly).

I had MRI's done one month after my decompression surgery... but I also walked out of the hospital on my own after 2 days. I was in sever pain for about 4 days after that and then it was over. Every time I woke up I would just go straight for the pills, because it's definitely too much to handle.

Anyways, for a patient that is in severe pain for an unexpected amount of time - getting those scans is the only way they can verify that everything is ok in her body and that she's on her way to recovering. Best of luck with everything <3 and much love to everybody involved<3<3<3 (^_^)

Sslakemom2 said:

She should probably request an MRI...I was in the hospital for 8 days after my decompression and had a CT scan and an MRI because of the amount of pain I was in. Also make sure she has someone advocating for her...so important because they will let you slip though the cracks!

Thank you! Im relaying to her everything that you all are telling me. Her husband and mother have been staying in the hospital with her around the clock to make sure she gets her pain medicine and everything so she has some great advocates! Thank you again. I really appreciate everyones input!

Hi....

1st off...What a GREAT friend you are!

Just wanted to see how she is feeling today...give her our best here....tell her that the memebers of this group are happy to share our experiences with her and we are certainly always here to listen .

Take Care,

Lori

Lori,
Thank you!

She is off bedrest. They dont think she has another leak. She says she is still having the headaches but they are changing her medicine to try and help her deal with them. They are hoping she will get to go home this week!

Thank you so much for taking the time to check in on her. That just goes to show what an awesome site this truely is!

lori said:

Hi…

1st off…What a GREAT friend you are!

Just wanted to see how she is feeling today…give her our best here…tell her that the memebers of this group are happy to share our experiences with her and we are certainly always here to listen .

Take Care,

Lori