Chiari and seizures

I was wondering if any one else has experienced a seizure possibly related to their Chiari. I spent the night in the ER last night with symptoms of a stroke after having 3 spells of losing consciousness at home, I had left face droop and left arm clumsiness and left side weakness and slurred speech. They did MRI MRA and a MRV and ruled a stroke out. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

I hope you are feeling better today!

I never passed out, but I did have stroke-like symptoms (right-sided) before my first decompression. They lasted for over two weeks. My MRA was also normal. I told my NS and he moved up my surgery date by quite a lot. After surgery, my right sided weakness, as well as almost all of my other symptoms went away. My CSF flow was quite impaired, as I had an obstructive herniation and a brain tumor (benign) on my left cerebellar tonsil, further impeding the flow (this is apparently SUPER rare - lucky me!).

Have you been able to see a good NS? Have you told them about your new symptoms? Do you need/want physical therapy if you have remaining muscle weakness? I did PT for 6 months after my first surgery to try to even out the two sides of my body. It was very helpful.

Wishing you the best,

Donna

yes I am experiencing this right now. Currently I am at the hospital doing video EEG testing. Been in for 5 days and they still haven't found any evidence of seizures. I asked the doctor about this and she did not appear to know. I am researching the links Abby posted and hopefully the doc will take a moment and read or explain them to me.

I went through this as well. Had video EEG and initially showed no seizures until the last night and they saw something small that last for less than a minute. I was told I didn’t have epilepsy but at the time did not know what causing my seizures. It wasn’t until I found my current neurosurgeon and was told that Chiari can produce seizures in some patients. Since my decompression surgery they have gone down dramatically but still a few here and there.