Can I expect a reversal of symptoms?

Im still pretty new to all of this and still learning. My surgery is scheduled for Oct 24.

Can I expect a reversal of symptoms(s) ? such as?

Hearing Loss (i don't have the swooshing sound but periodic "tone"

Balance issues

Fatique

Numbness in extremities (recently added)

Dehydration / excessive thirst

Electric like burning sensations

Restricted movement

Intolerance to bright light

Etc...

Hi Kenny

We all react differently to the surgery and have different results; it's such a personal journey. A lot of it, I believe, depends on the skill of the surgeon and our own personal approach to the surgery. I had my surgery in Jul 2010 and I have improved. For the most part I am no longer dizzy, have vertigo, feel fuzzy or confused in the head and my balance has definitely improved. Before the surgery I could not walk in a straight line and would definitely have failed the sobriety test - even though I don't drink! I still will occasionally experience a fleeting dizziness or a little numbness somewhere but it normally doesn't last very long. For me the surgery was a good thing. I went into it with only the expectation that I wouldn't be any worse and that I would have done what I could to stop the progression and make my life better and alleviate worry about what might happen if I didn't do anything. I was fortunate to have an excellent surgeon who successfully takes on difficult cases....so even though I'm not pefect I consider the surgery a success. When I woke up the next morning after the surgery, for the first time in a long time nothing hurt. I didn't consider my reccovery difficult so I guess I'm among the lucky ones. But it did take a long time because I had basilar invagination surgery and cervical cranial fusion at the same time the chiari was corrected. Having surgery was a good thing for me......I hope yours will be too.

As far as the fatigue, I exerienced that too; mine turned out to be from being dehydrated, having an underactive thyroid and being anemic. Once I went on medication for those things and if I remember to drink more water, I have much more energy.

When I was first diagnosed with chiari I did a lot of research on the internet too; it's good to know what we are dealing with. I would caution you to remember that a lot of it is old and there has been a lot of progress made since it was written. For example my neurosurgeon used a different approach and you don't end up with the zipper scar; he puts all the stiches on the inside. There are a lot of horror stories out there too and they scared me at first until I managed to put it in perspective. The individuals who have surgery successfully most probably get on with their lives and don't post the good stuff on the internet. You are lucky that you have found this site where there is a lot of positive feedback. A good attitude and reasonable expectations about the surgery go a long way toward a successful outcome. Blessings to you.

Shirley

Hi Kenny,

I agree with Shirley. It is a personal journey. I think that if we approach surgery with hope and faith that it will improve our quality of life, we are better off. If we place too many expections on the outcome, we may be disappointed. If we go into it thinking that it will improve our symptoms, but maybe not eliminate them completely then we won't be discouraged. Remember that surgery is a major one and that it takes time for our bodies to recover from the procedure itself. Then we have to give our bodies/brains time to heal and recover and maybe return to a normal and healthy function. I will be praying that your outcome is more than you expect and that you are one of the lucky ones that will be painfree for 99.9% of the rest of your life. Good luck to you. When is your surgery scheduled?

Carla