Blood Pressure and Heartrate

So, since my decompression surgery, and even more so since the CSF leak surgery, I’ve had an elevated heart rate and blood pressure.

Is this typical? Anything I can do about it besides going to the cardiologist and getting it in control that way?

Thanks

Cole, I’m sorry but I’m not aware of another way besides meds. Are you sleeping ok? When my Dysautomomia struck I was laying awake till 2 every morning with my heart trying to pound out my chest. It makes relaxing and resting post op difficult.

I’m not sleeping well. I’ve only been home, from CSF leak surgery, since Saturday. I sleep about two hours at a time, and then I’m uncomfortable and have to move.

When I was in the hospital for the CSF leak, they had me on toporol but my surgeon did not prescribe it there so he didn’t send me home with it. I asked about it today because I could feel my heart rate, and I’m sure bp, being kinda high but they weren’t real concerned. But I think he headache I’m having now is from that because it is more of a pressure than anything else.

I just don’t know what to think.

I’m supposed to call and get an appointment with my cardiologist, I just forgot today. Hopefully tomorrow I will remember.

Cole, yes get it checked out. I’m sure you’re not excited about acquiring another diagnosis, but if you have Dysautomomia it won’t just go away. Taking a simple beta blocker made me feel soooo much better. You need to sleep so you can heal. Also- I started taking flexiril (muscle relaxer) at night. It helps with pain and makes me sleep! I’m so glad you are home and starting the healing process. Staying on top of your situation and taking care of yourself as things come up will help you heal faster. This is all so dang stressful don’t get stressed about seeing the cardiologist. You’ve made it through one of the hardest parts already.

Jenn

Get checked out for dysautonomia for sure because that is often associated with Chiari. Also keep in mind that when you are in pain your blood pressure will be higher. Your body is healing from surgery and as such it's under stress. It's possible things may stabilize themselves after you've had time to heal. Keep us posted!

After multiple phone calls with the cardiologist nurse, they decided that want a baseline bp and hr so I go I’m at 130 today. She didn’t know anything really about Chiari other than brain surgery associated with it, but they are going to try and get these under control.

So maybe the pressure headache will go away soon. :slight_smile:

So, it seems that it is being easily controlled right now with a Beta Blocker. Getting pretty much the lowest dose possible and doing it twice a day, once in the morning, and once in the evening. It seems what is helping to control it and to making me feel much better too.

The blood pressure is still higher than what I am used to, but it is in the "normal" range. The heart rate is still elevated some as well, but at least it is leveling out..just a bit higher than what I like.

I go back to the cardiologist on Monday, so we will see.

My doc today said to keep doing what I've been doing. I'm taking 1/2 of the lowest dose in the morning and 1/2 in the evening. He said continue that until the bp starts dropping too low, then go to just 1/2 once a day. He said do it as I see fit and take it as needed. He was quite happy with the progress made since last week.

After reading many different things about the hydration and potassium (I think it was) being an issue for those of us with Chiari, I have started buying more Gatorade and I do drink about a bottle a day of it.

I am also trying to stay in doors as much as possible.

Thanks

OH...going back to what was posted earlier....

What is dysautonomia ? How is diagnosed and what is the treatment? Who do I ask about it? I have a follow-up at my NS office on Friday, but I know it is with one of the nurse practitioners because my surgeon is out of town Thursday - Sunday this week. She is pretty knowledgeable about Chiari as well, so I am okay with meeting with her. I'm just not sure what the symptoms are and what to expect or whatever.

Thanks