Chiari and Dysautonomia

Hello everyone!

Just curious if there’s anyone else out there that experienced autonomic dysfunction and was diagnosed with Chiari during the process of figuring that out.

I was given a pacemaker last year (I’m 36!) and have experienced severe hypotension since. My neurosurgeon said surgery (scheduled 4/23) will alleviate headaches, but he isn’t sure it will alleviate the Dysautonomia. My neurologist is more hopeful that it will.

Has anyone else had similar issues? I’m so hopeful that surgery will stop or at least slow down the autonomic nervous system failure.

Thanks for guidance!!

Hi, Megan.
I don’t have Chiari, but I’d like to offer a suggestion to try to be of some help to you. Please try doing a search here on “dysautonomia” using our search field. There are likely others who have discussed this topic.
Hugs,
Laurie

Hi Megan,

I wish I could help you with this question. I'm also having debilitating sx from POTS/dysautonomia and have hopes that surgery will fix it all. I don't think that's realistic :( but if I can get any improvement in that area I'll feel blessed.

I hope it fixes you or at least shows some significant improvement.

Candy

In my research to find answers for myself, it seems that POTS and dysautomonia are a current catch all for symptoms that medical professionals do not understand so lump them all together and give it a name. Before and after I had decompression surgery, I had a lot of those symptoms. Surgery itself and the anesthetic that goes with it can be part of the problem and time helps with that but I also found that a series of primitive reflex exercises helped with lots of those symptoms that did not go away. They are a kooky concept but rooted in neuro research and I found them to be particularly helpful. Hard to find some one who knows about them. A physical therapist had the information I needed.

PS You may want to have your medications reviewed by a pharmacist to make sure that everything is OK there. have spoken to a number of people where medications are compounding an already delicate medical situation.

Good luck