6 weeks Post op decompression surgery question

Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting on here, so I hope I do it right. I am 6weeks post op from Chiari decompression surgery. I had no complications from the surgery and my severe symptoms have been relieved. Yay! My question is if anyone else experienced difficulties with short term memory loss and just overall brain “fogginess” after surgery. I had some minor trouble with this prior to surgery, but it is so much worse now. It is quite annoying to me. Will this get better with time?

Also, wondering if it is normal for me to be 6 weeks out and still have trouble with getting exhausted easily?

Any advice you have is very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Sonya

I have to agree with everyone else. I thought 6 weeks was a long enough healing time and tried to return to work. Exhaustion and "out of it" feeling made me take more time off work. I will return parttime next week and hope to do this for one month before returning to fulltime work. That will be 3 months post surgery before full work load.

I’m glad to see your post. I’m in week 5 post op and have much worsened memory trouble too. I had some difficulty with this before, but it’s REALLY intensified since surgery. My NS told me I would be ready to return to work after 4 weeks…but I’m not even close yet. I called my NS office today, the nurse said, "oh no, the normal time for retuning to work is 4-8 weeks. I have to call work today and let them know. A little scared of what my boss is going to say when I tell her I’m still not ready. Since surgery I’ve also had some other changes. I cannot tolerate the smell or taste of pork and eggs (like being pregnant), I am feeling depressed and anxious,
And also am in a super spacey haze all day. Thanks again for your post, feels better to know I’m not the only one . Jenn

Thanks everyone for your replies! It’s comforting to know that I’m not alone in the way I feel. The best part of this community is finding out that none of us are alone in this condition and our symptoms we deal with because of it!

Sonya