7 1/2 weeks post op

Had decompression surgery March 8th. Can anyone relate? My neck is very stiff and painful. Still have some dizziness and brain fog. C1 was removed and now have numbness on my entire left side. Ns says it will come back. Had home health care for weeks and now I'm going to see a physical reb dr (physiatrist) for an evaluation and then onto outpatient therapy. I'm getting depressed dealing with it everyday. Feel like I've taken steps backward, not forward. Anyone experience this?

Is there anyone who has had a successful decompresion surgury without any side problems ive got a chiari 2

I know exactly how you feel. My surgery was March 5th. I had decompression and fusion. Needless to say I have to wear the collar for 5 months. I was doing great until last week, when I attempted to return to work. Headaches returned not to mention the depression. The whole back of my head is numb. Not that that is the worst thing in the world, but getting used to it is difficult. I feel like I will never have my life back again. But I think we both have to remember that 8 weeks is nothing compared to what we have been through. We must give ourselves more time to heal both mentally and physically. I definitely feel I went backwards this week, but I have decided to stay home and not try to push my return to work. I am more important than work is. Please keep in touch and let me know how you are feeling.

Yes I had a very successful decompression surgery. I haver told my recovery story here because I know that I was lucky and don’t want anyone ever believe that all recoveries should be exactly like mine, and fear that their recovery is abnormal. I also would never want it to be perceived tha I would be bragging or that I believe that I “tougher” then anyone else. That would be the farther east from the truth, we are all different and we all heal and perceive everything differently. I want no one to ever feel bad about themselves or fear what they are experiencing is abnormal.
If anyone would like to hear my story just pm me I’d be happy to tell it!
Also a lot of people that have successful outcomes no loner need support so they are not around as much.

Anne taylor said:

Is there anyone who has had a successful decompresion surgury without any side problems ive got a chiari 2

All just having surgery hang in there!!! It does get better. I had my surgery 2 years ago and it takes a few months to get over the soreness and pain…my husband used to remind me when I would cry telling me you did just have your head cut open for goodness sake! So many people try to push themselves after surgery the brain has to adjust! It’s normal to feel overwhelmed and depressed, bu I promise it gets better.

I had the surgery April 11, and still am pretty sore. I was planning on going back to work in July, but am a preschool TA with special needs children. I can’t drive, and barely turn my neck. I have developed a bit of a stutter, and at times find it difficult to organize my thoughts. My legs are stronger now, but my knees either lock or give. Thinking of starting back in September. I have a hard time not feeling anxious or impatient, and starting to get the blues. I sometimes get nervous that I’m weak or crazy, but nice to see others aren’t just popping back to their lives (not that I don’t want you to. I go to PT 3x’s a week, and my therapist says I still have a ways to go. I have constant spasms in my neck, but am doing much better. Hope all you post ops heal, and feel better, and helps that we aren’t alone!

It will get better. I had my decompression surgery in 2007 along with C1 through C4 fusion and removal of my adontoid (it was pressing on my brain stem). I can understand what you are feeling...wearing the neck collar and going through the long recovery was scary and depressing for me too, but I can tell you...a few months after the surgery until present which is 6 years later...I FEEL AMAZING!!! No more migraines, my vision is back and I have more balance. The only issue is stiff neck, but I get massages and feel so much better!!! Yoga has also helped with the stiffness and range of motion in my neck. The recovery is difficult, but you will get through it. :) You will begin to feel better and better... I wish you the best in your recovery!!!

My neck still hurts a lot of the time. 2 years since surgery #1, 7 months since surgery #2. I think it's really to be expected with a lot of chiari patients after their surgeries. It will get better, but there may be *some* pain to manage in the long-run. But you will find ways to help it get better and hopefully ways to overcome it, even.

Grapefruit, I’m interested in the multifidus exercise you mentioned… Can you elaborate on the exercises you talked about? What do mean about the “pinching like a clothes pin”? Is it more isometric?

grapefruit flavour said:

Hi

I listed this for another gal and stand by it! Recruiting muscle control of the cervical spine is key to improving function and pain levels.

I found that systematic 10 second contractions of the cervical multifidus muscles (the musles right close to your spine on the back)worked great in helping with neck pain and function. I began first day post-op (but a person can start any time), starting at the top of the spine working my way down to the mid-thoracic spine one “vertebra” at a time, thinking about pinching with my deep neck muscles like a clothes pin.

Started with just 5 seconds at each cervical segment a couple of times down the spine and worked up to a hold of 10 seconds. I did this 2-3 times a day. In no way was I straining or clenching the rest of my body. Sometimes I just visualized what I wanted to do, especially when first starting. When I first started it seemed that I did not really know where my cervical spine was but that improved. It helps to look at an anatomical drawing of the multifidus muscles to get the idea.

I don’t know about others, but I kept my neck rather stiff prior to surgery to avoid Chiari symptoms. After surgery, muscle pain and stiffness is big, but these exercises really helped me. I am not afraid to swivel my head about or lean out of the bed to pick up a dropped book. 6 weeks post op and pleased.

my daughter is post surgery decompression 6 months - and finally getting some relieve of the neck and shoulder pain.

We used mostly ice packs to get comfort - also doctor started her on Flexril for muscle pain which worked good.

NS kept indicating that her discomfort and pain was all normal related to the surgery, however our Internist recommend different approach and medications that actually helped the symptoms. She started PT in March and it was too soon. It is a slow recovery so be patient - it will get better.

Hang in there.

You are all making me nervous. My son’s surgery is Friday. Right now he is not in pain. His only neurological symptom is nystagmus. It sounds like he’s going to have more pain than hehad before the surgery.

Remember everyones situation and condition is different: There are a lot of things to take into consideration.

His age - young children I have been told heal quickly some with no problems at all...

My daughter is 21 - her surgery was successful however he recovery difficult.

Remember on a lot of the websites patients not only have Chiari but have other issues... This is very important,, often people share their horror stories about Chiari and don't tell us that they have MS or other issues;

Stay positive -- Prayers and Hope I'm sending your way.

Thank you for your kind words. I will try to stay positive.

chiari - hope said:

Remember everyones situation and condition is different: There are a lot of things to take into consideration.

His age - young children I have been told heal quickly some with no problems at all...

My daughter is 21 - her surgery was successful however he recovery difficult.

Remember on a lot of the websites patients not only have Chiari but have other issues... This is very important,, often people share their horror stories about Chiari and don't tell us that they have MS or other issues;

Stay positive -- Prayers and Hope I'm sending your way.

Thanks!!!

I was thinking about doing the yoga but was kind of wondering if it would be ok so it did yelp the stiffness in your neck what kind of yoga did you do

JeannieJ said:

It will get better. I had my decompression surgery in 2007 along with C1 through C4 fusion and removal of my adontoid (it was pressing on my brain stem). I can understand what you are feeling...wearing the neck collar and going through the long recovery was scary and depressing for me too, but I can tell you...a few months after the surgery until present which is 6 years later...I FEEL AMAZING!!! No more migraines, my vision is back and I have more balance. The only issue is stiff neck, but I get massages and feel so much better!!! Yoga has also helped with the stiffness and range of motion in my neck. The recovery is difficult, but you will get through it. :) You will begin to feel better and better... I wish you the best in your recovery!!!

im trying so hard to be patient. it has been a year and 5 months since my surgery. I am just about to the point thar something else is going on with my neck and head

Yes, yoga helps me with the stiffness in my neck. I love Bikram Yoga...the heat in the room actually makes my neck more flexible. Definitely ask your doctor since we are all different. Good Luck! :)

I had surgery one year ago and have neck pain and stiffness. My NS ordered a soft collar at my post op appointment because he said my cervical discs would get me" in trouble " he was right. I have an Aspen Vista Collar now .I have to wear it for 2 weeks then call him. I am probably looking at fusion surgery because my neck is very unstable. I also have lower back problems, left side numbness and weakness, bladder problems, vertigo and other" stuff". I have had 2 MRI's. NS thinks I have a tethered cord that the MRIs is not showing. I would talk to your PCP or NS . Good luck.

thanks for the information I will talk to him about it..

I went back to work and had a huge event that I helped with 3 weeks post op. on Wednesday of my first week back, I started having muscle spasms which were completely new. I had to change my meds and I had a rough 3 weeks. It has only been the last week where I have made significant improvement Hang in there! It can get better.