6 months since surgery

I'm sorry I haven't written in awhile.

Today is special for several reasons: Megan (my oldest niece) is graduating from Mason High School, Abby (another niece) turns 16, my beautiful daughters Ashley and Aimee are graduating from Lakota East High School - I love them both so much and couldn't be more proud of the women they are becoming, AND finally 6 months ago today I had brain surgery & 98% of my symptoms have been eliminated.
Here is an update:
I returned to teaching full time on March 5. I quickly became consumed with the daily tasks of teaching. I taught 1/2 days the week prior. Then my husband and I made the decision to put the house on the market so I've spent the better part of the past 6 weeks getting the inside of the house ready - it goes on the market within two weeks, yesterday we had a grad party for Aimee and Ashley. I have been feeling so much better since my surgery. IF I get a headache, which is more weather related, it goes away!!!!!!!! The only lingering symptom that I have is vertigo when I lay down or bend over. I will gladly take this symptom to have the other symptoms alleviated.
I'm so blessed to have found relief from my Chiari symptoms, to have a surgeon who was so skilled, and so many people who were praying for me. It makes today that much more special, because I can enjoy today without fear of how will I feel today. Thank you God for the people in my life, for giving me the two best daughters in the world, for blessing me with my family including and not limited to my ginger nieces who are celebrating today. I am so lucky!!!!! :)

That is so great that everything is working for you!! Enjoy today & everyday with family & friends :)

Hello Hopeful... Sounds like you are in the Cincinnati Area... I am too. I was just recently diagnosed a little more than a week ago. Who was your surgeon?? I have so many questions and would like to find someone here locally to talk to.

I am so happy to hear that things are going well for you and congrats to your girls.

Hope to be able to catch up and talk to you sometime.

I live in West Chester, so yes I am in the Cincinnati Area! My n/s is Dr. John Tew of the Mayfield Clinic. I highly recommend him, although he is very matter of fact, a little intimidating, and point blank at first. My second in encounter and the ones after that have been great. I would be happy to answer any questions you have about Chiari, the symptoms I had, or the surgery itself. Anything you need I'm an open book. Thank you for your well wishes. I probably won't be able to respond to an e-mail tonight, but I should be able to tomorrow.

Carrie :)

mlubbers said:

Hello Hopeful... Sounds like you are in the Cincinnati Area... I am too. I was just recently diagnosed a little more than a week ago. Who was your surgeon?? I have so many questions and would like to find someone here locally to talk to.

I am so happy to hear that things are going well for you and congrats to your girls.

Hope to be able to catch up and talk to you sometime.

Thank you! :)

Lindy215 said:

That is so great that everything is working for you!! Enjoy today & everyday with family & friends :)

xoxoxooxoxoxoxoo so happy to hear good news!

It is so nice to hear how the surgery helped! Many congratulations on the various graduations in your life.

Hi....

What great news!!!! Thanks for the update.

Hi I too have been celebrating with graduations, promotions. I use to lead a girls small group and I was a high school youth leader. I say use to because I had to let go of things I was involved in. I was diagnosed with Chiari in Sept. 2011, had car accident in Oct. then decompression surgery in December. I'm 6 months post-surgery and still have a feeling of heaviness from my head. I still have neck and back pain. My constant headache is gone and I only have minor ones. I still have some visual problems, I have short term memory loss which drives me crazy. I have not walked off to the left, or had any vertigo when getting out of my car or sitting in church. I still suffer if I bend down or get up faster than I should.

I'm just wondering if you still have pain, fatigue. I'm 40 with five children and of course all my youth kids. I'm just wondering how long it takes to feel the energy I know I should have.

Thanks

Blessings

Chantiell

Thank you!

hopeful1 said:

Lindy215 said:

Chantiell,

I'm so sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. We are preparing to move and so I haven't been on the site like I would like to be. Congratulations on making it 6 months. I too am 40, but I have 4 kids (2 -18yr olds and a 4 1/2 yr. old and a 3 yr. old)
I still have neck pain as well - it seems that if am stressed or if I have held my head in a position for too long that is when I get the pain. I do get tired as well and my headaches will come and go. I went to the movies last night and we got there late so we had to sit in the third row and w/ my neck tilted back so I could see the movie - I paid for it when I got home. I felt awful and just wanted to sleep and make the pain go away. (Of course one of my daughters was at the movie - so I slept on the couch til she got home). I feel better today. So I don't want you to think everything is perfect for me. I still catch myself having memory issues sometimes. I think I will have to adapt and come up with a strategy for dealing with that, b/c I'm not sure it will go away completely.
Sometimes it helps just to know that someone else is going through it similarly to you. It sounds like we are have similar recoveries. I wish you good luck and try to keep some energy for 5 kids...
Take care,
Carrie :)

CAT said:

Hi I too have been celebrating with graduations, promotions. I use to lead a girls small group and I was a high school youth leader. I say use to because I had to let go of things I was involved in. I was diagnosed with Chiari in Sept. 2011, had car accident in Oct. then decompression surgery in December. I'm 6 months post-surgery and still have a feeling of heaviness from my head. I still have neck and back pain. My constant headache is gone and I only have minor ones. I still have some visual problems, I have short term memory loss which drives me crazy. I have not walked off to the left, or had any vertigo when getting out of my car or sitting in church. I still suffer if I bend down or get up faster than I should.

I'm just wondering if you still have pain, fatigue. I'm 40 with five children and of course all my youth kids. I'm just wondering how long it takes to feel the energy I know I should have.

Thanks

Blessings

Chantiell

thank you! :)

Nicole Casella Piotrowski said:

xoxoxooxoxoxoxoo so happy to hear good news!

WhatsForDinner said:

It is so nice to hear how the surgery helped! Many congratulations on the various graduations in your life.

Hey! Thank you! :)

lori said:

Hi....

What great news!!!! Thanks for the update.