23 days post-surgery- still sick

hello all- first post since surgery- I am doing better then I thought, pain wise, after surgery but I am still having a fight with food- I find no real rhyme or reason to the issue- I did go about five days in a row (the week before thanksgiving) where I thought I was done being sick but not the case- has anyone else had such a reaction for such a while? am I just so tired of throwing up that it seems like it has been going on forever?

Are you still on pain meds? If you are taking pain meds without food it can really wreck your stomach! After my tonsils were out I couldn't eat because it was too painful and then my pain meds made me throw up which was even worse.

Hello, My daughter just had decrompression surgery 2 weeks ago, the first 6 days was a fight to even get her to swallow ginger ale, she was in the hospital 7 days as a result of nausea. They decided to adjust things, and in addition to the Zofran, they added a patch to go behind her ear for the nausea and she did a 360 turn in 24 hours!! Just a thought, would not jurt to try....Good Luck!

thanks all for the responses- some more info for ya'll- in the hospital they gave me all they could for nausea- they sent me home on pain meds with the nausea meds- had to get the pain meds changed after the first four days and added another nausea pill - I have long since stopped taking the nausea meds because nothing seems to help- there seems no rhyme or reason to the being sick- but the nausea is daily- I have weaned myself off the pain meds- if I take one now its if I over did it during the day and feel some increased pain so I'd take one at night.. but that's not so often these days at all- I have decided that I will make an additional doc appt because since posting this discussion I have been nausea'd and sick most of the time- the being sick does give or take... I have become used to it all and have learned to live with it but honestly its sooo exhausting.. so any other advise I could get would be amazing!! thank you all, again...

I am three weeks post op and still dealing with nausea. I need zofran daily. Doctor said this is not normal. He will repeat MRI if it doesn’t stop in two weeks. It’s miserable.

hI...

i AM SO SORRY YOU ARE GOOING THROUGH THIS..YOU NEED YOUR STRENGTH.....BUT, HOW I KNOW THAT FEELING YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT..

HAVE YOU TRIED CHEWING ON PEPPERMENT GUM? SOUNDS NUTS , BUT IF THE GUM HAS REAL PEPPERMINT OIL IT IN , IT HELPS WITH NAUSA.....ALSO, GINGER......I FOUND THAT ALTOIDS, YA KNOW THE MINTS IN A ....WELL THEY MAKE A GINGER ONE...GINGER IS KNOW FOR ITS HELP WITH UPSET STOMACHES.....

I HAPPEN TO BE DEALING WITH THE SAME BELLY/EATING ISSUE AS YOURSELF..THOUGH NOT DUE TO CHIARI.

I HAVE BEEN LIVING ON CHOCOLATE BARS...SUCKING ON THEM......TOLD MY DOC AND SHE SAID SHE COULD UNDERSTAND HOW THAT WOULD SOOTH THE BELLY AND NOT MAKE ME THROW UP. IT IS NOT THE HEALTHIEST THING..BUT IS BETTER THAN LOOSING MORE POUNDS...THEN I TRY TO TAKE A STEP IN FAITH AND JUST GO FOR IT AND EAT SOUPS, BOOST DRINK, GATERADE, TOAST.

GOOD LUCK AND PRAYING THAT YOU FEEL BETTER VERY SOON.

LORI

I couldn't eat much for a month or so after decompression. I found Carnation Instant breakfast and Ensure to be life savers that I could keep down.