Nausea ALL. THE. TIME (5 months post-op)

I'm just over 5 months post decompression, and I have been blessed with a very easy recovery. At 2 months post-op my MRI showed all clear, and that I am "fixed" (grrr I kinda hate that surgeon mindset).

However about 2 months ago the nausea symptom came back with gusto. Without rhyme or reason I am nauseous and gagging 24/7. I have to force myself to eat to maintain some level of energy, which is crazy low as it is. I'm exhausted and foggy brained. It's hard to eat as healthy as I normally like because in this state it's hard to stomach lots of greens. I am sluggish, grumpy and miserable. At least I don't actually vomit, just lots of dry heaving. I try ginger tea, lemon water and even pepto bismo. Nothing really helps.

Anyone else experience this? If this is just it, my life going forward, what can I do to improve it? I've talked with my regular doctor, who has little to say about it. My nuero hasn't gotten back to me yet.

That sounds so miserable. I personally don't have any trouble with nausea so I'm not sure what could be causing it. :( Hopefully it's something that will go away in time as you heal further. I know some people have issues with the change in spinal fluid movement after surgery and just need time to adjust. In the meantime maybe you can ask about meds for nausea? I know a lot of people take zofran.

Hi…

I am so sorry you are suffering so with this…my NS told me that it is common to experience varied symptoms…new ones…after surgery…the reason, he explained is the body/ brain adjusting to the new flow of CSF…I am wondering if this the case with yourself???
Have you had cent blood work to see about vitamin deficiencies ?? Emmaline gave you great input on that…I never really took vitamin deficiencies too seriously…UNTIL I found out that , yes…you can have problems with low D…low Mag…ect… Always good to have these checked…

Keep us posted.

That sounds awful :( I hope it resolves soon. My daughter had nausea months after surgery but hers was due to a pseudomeningocele that was pretty large. Zofran worked wonders, but the nausea didn't fully resolve until they dealt with her fluid buildup. Luckily for you, you got the all clear on the MRI. It can't hurt to check into the vitamin deficiences, and don't hesitate to ask your doctor for anti-nausea medications.