Nausea after surgery

My surgery was on the 23, and though I am getting better every day, I am still having trouble with nausea. When I went to have my staples removed last week they only prescribed me more nausea meds. I stopped taking all of the meds because the nausea seems a little better when I don't take them. I have lost 20 pounds already and was never warned that the nausea would last so long. Any one else have this issue after surgery? Any advice would be helpful. Thank you in advance!

I had my surgery over 2 years ago and iv lost 17 pounds and i was nautious for awile after too. It comes back every once in awile but not bad or anything. Dont worrie thoguth itll get better!

Hi Mandy,

Oh, how I feel for you...I really think nausea is the worst. I too , struggles with that after surgery but it did pass...I drank a lot of ginger ale..but the kind that has real ginger in it..I think it was a brand that starts with an 'S'....sorry cannot remember the name.

also, I ate Salines and that helped as well...

hope this passes soon.

Peace,

Lori

Thank you Lori! That's exactly what I am doing. Segrams ginger ale?? Lol thanx for replying.

oh no! 2 years and it still comes back? i don't know if i can handle that. You must be strong!!!

skycm29 said:

I had my surgery over 2 years ago and iv lost 17 pounds and i was nautious for awile after too. It comes back every once in awile but not bad or anything. Dont worrie thoguth itll get better!

I had my surgery 6 months ago and also had nausea for quite a while, I felt like I was relying on anti-nausea meds too much so stopped taking them. I also still get bouts of nausea along with dizziness. I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks Angie. Did you find any nausea meds that helped?

Zofran works for my daughter. She only takes it in the morning and seems ok the rest of the day. Do you have just the morning nausea because it can last a while.

Zofran works for my daughter. She only takes it in the morning and seems ok the rest of the day. Do you have just the morning nausea because it can last a while.

Mandy Johnson said:

The best one for me was ondansetron 4mg, but was relying on it too much so stopped taking it. I just let the nausea pass by itself when I get it now

I suffer with nausea and vomiting depending on how much pressure I have in my head. I have bouts of sever vomiting once or twice a year. I have C-1 to C-3 shaved down in my neck and I believe it depends on how far the herniation is to what makes the symptoms worse. But I know a lot of people that suffer with pressure headaches. Hopefully your symptoms will get better once all the swelling goes down. The worst part was after my numbness wore off from doing the surgery, it happened about 60 days post-op. I was like if you ever had dental work but 10x worse. You should start feeling a lot better, Best wishes!

Yes it does seem to be worse in the morning but I tried Zofran in the hospital and it didn't seem to help. I am going for my post op appointment on Thursday so maybe the Dr. can help. Thank you for your response. I appreciate any advice I can get at this point.

Joalexa said:

That may be what I am leaning toward. I just don't know how to go back to work if I still feel this bad.

Angie said:

Mandy Johnson said:

The best one for me was ondansetron 4mg, but was relying on it too much so stopped taking it. I just let the nausea pass by itself when I get it now

You mean there are more symptoms to come? Oh no! I can't even handle the nausea! LOL

edock said:

I suffer with nausea and vomiting depending on how much pressure I have in my head. I have bouts of sever vomiting once or twice a year. I have C-1 to C-3 shaved down in my neck and I believe it depends on how far the herniation is to what makes the symptoms worse. But I know a lot of people that suffer with pressure headaches. Hopefully your symptoms will get better once all the swelling goes down. The worst part was after my numbness wore off from doing the surgery, it happened about 60 days post-op. I was like if you ever had dental work but 10x worse. You should start feeling a lot better, Best wishes!