Weight changes after surgery?

Hi all,

I will be having surgery December 13th, and I am curious to know what most of you have experienced regarding weight fluctuations after surgery. Part of me thinks you would likely gain weight from being inactive, but then I'm thinking maybe you would lose weight because maybe you wouldn't be able to eat like your normal self for the first couple of weeks? So maybe the two balance out and overall your weight doesn't change?

If those of you who have had surgery could give your feedback it would be much appreciated. I'm trying to get in the best shape I can going into surgery, and I recognize that everyone is different, but am trying to gauge what is most likely to happen. I know I will have more important things to worry about, but...I'm just curious.

Thanks!

HI!!!

Your question is a natural one, I think, for us gals!!!

I have surgery a little over 4 yrs ago..I lost a couple of lbs...did not feel like eating due to pain meds.

If you happen to put on a few extra lbs.....no worries...they will come off soon enough after you are back to doing all the things you normally do!

Peace,

Lori

I gained a bit during my time off (just returned to work today). I haven't been eating too healthy and had been less active so I guess it's to be expected. I'm hoping to start working out and eating better once I get to feeling good. Pain meds don't affect my appetite but a lot of people lose theirs while taking them so things could be different for you.

Don't be discouraged by my gain though, I think my metabolism is off. I couldn't eat for 2 weeks after my tonsillectomy and didn't lose a pound. Seriously!