Weakness in Right Arm and Leg

For the last 5 days I have been having significant weakness in my right arm and leg. I called Dr. Tew's office and they moved my appointment up from 5 weeks away to 2 weeks away and told me to go to the ER to get checked to make sure that nothing else was causing this (i.e. a stroke).

So I went to the ER.

14 hours(!), 5 neurologists, and an MRI later they told me that they thought that my weakness was a result of a complex migraine.... that I didn't have. At least they didn't tell me I had a stroke. I'm sure that it's a Chiari symptom, not a type of migraine that I've never had before.

I'm thankful that Dr. Tew moved up my appointment so much, and I guess I know what he is going to tell me when I get there. It's almost a relief, as I really feel that surgery is my next step. This is scarier to me than all of my other symptoms. I just hope that either surgery can help this weakness, or that it resolves quickly on its own.

Hi Donna, I had a similar thing happen about 2 years ago. I got up one morning and the left side of my face and left eye felt sore like I had been hit or something. Not like a headache. Then later I noticed that my scalp and left side of my body felt tingly and numbish. My Dr. told me to go to the ER and they did a ct and told me it was a complicated migraine. I kept telling them I didn't have a headache but they said that was possible to not have the headache. Now I'm sure it was chiari symptoms, I didn't know I had it at that time. I do get weak arms and legs and stuff that comes and goes like everything else though. I'm glad they moved up your appointment.

Thanks, Donna (what a nice name you have, by the way)

It's good to know that I'm not alone. As soon as I told the Neurologists that I had a family history of complex migraines (but certainly NOT a personal history) they didn't seem to consider anything else, save to go through the motions to check for a blood clot with an MRI. They also gave me a thorough speech about how Chiari surgery is not a cure-all and can cause other problems and I was just thinking "Please stop the lecture. I know all of the possible risks and rewards of this surgery and I would not be doing this unless my symptoms were ruining my life and my health. Do you think I decided to go to a Neurosurgeon for giggles?" It's the old Neurologist/Neurosurgeon rivalry popping its head up once again.

Well, I am on day 10 of this weakness now. It has never gotten better, if anything it is worse.

Honestly, I am scared about what this means.

I don't know if I have a syrinx, as my spine has not been imaged for 2 years.

Has anyone else had consistant weakness like this? Did surgery help it? I really don't want this to be permanent.