Update

Hi guys,

Sorry I have been absent for awhile. I have been rather busy. I have been going in for iron treatments at the oncology center lately. I was sent there for a condition called thrombocyotosis. My platelets were pretty high. But thankfully the iron treatments are bringing them down. :)

I saw my neurologist recently. He got the report from the neurosurgeon and sat down and explained to me that he agreed with the report from the neurosurgeon. And I asked about rather I had chiari or not. He said I did but I was not at a level where I needed surgery and he said he remembered that I did not want to go that route anyway so he said that it was good news for me there. He ordered a lumbar MRI which I go in for on April 6th and prescribed a new med to help with the back issues I have: pinched nerve, herniated disk, scoliosis. I guess from reading the neurosurgeons report.

He explained there were levels of chiari? But said that mine was not going down into my spinal area? Maybe you guys could help me understand this? The nurse was trying to explain it like people who have Alzheimers. I don't understand what Alzheimers would have to do with chiari. LOL

I know there are different kinds of chiari. I have done my research as far as that was concerned when I first learned I had chiari. But I have never read anything about chiari having levels. I trust my neurologist though. He does deal with chiari and does treat it. I guess I am just a little lost.

I am supposed to go back and see him in 5 weeks. Other then the oncology stuff. I am doing pretty good. I hope you guys are too. :)

Hi, Jenna.
Nice to make your acquaintance. I am glad to hear you are doing pretty good despite your other concerns.
Perhaps the levels are types… Our homepage has a breakdown of the types of Chiari along with descriptions. You may also want to check out the Chiari Info for Members tab above as there are also resources there for you.
Best wishes with your appointments and treatment.
Hugs,
Laurie

Hi Laurie, it is nice to meet you as well. I know the type I have. I have chiari I malformation. But they clearly stated levels to me. I guess it might be in form of severity? I get the headaches, dizziness, ringing in the ears (which drives me crazy most of the time. I feel like I am in school and doing an ear exam for the school nurse lol) and of course a lot of the other symptoms. I can live with it for now and if he is willing to help me with my headaches and I have to go in for periodic mri's that's ok too. But I know I am terrified of going under the knife so I wasn't upset when he said he agreed with the neurosurgeon when the neurosurgeon said he didn't think I needed surgery. But I figured I would ask you guys about the levels thing. You guys have all been so knowledgeable about chiari and I am a newbie to the whole scene of things. I found out my diagnosis last August.
BaltimoreBaby said:

Hi, Jenna.
Nice to make your acquaintance. I am glad to hear you are doing pretty good despite your other concerns.
Perhaps the levels are types... Our homepage has a breakdown of the types of Chiari along with descriptions. You may also want to check out the Chiari Info for Members tab above as there are also resources there for you.
Best wishes with your appointments and treatment.
Hugs,
Laurie