My visit to the Wisconsin Chiari Center

Tuesday and Wednesday I went to milwaukee to the Chiari Center. The people were very nice and informative. Tuesday I had 2 neurodiagnostic tests. The tech was very nice and explained eveything. She even told me about the surgery and things since she would be a part of the surgery team.

Wednesday I had 3 MRI’s and then met with Dr. Heffez who is the neurosurgeon. He went over all my results with me. I have an 8mm Chiar not 5 mm like previously thought. He said that with my symptoms that eventually I will need surgery it just depends on how long I want to suffer thru the symptoms. My mom doesn’t want me to have surgery so he said I could try Atlas Chiropractic and acupuncture for 3 visits to see if it would help.

My appt with Dr. Conner the neurologist was next. He said no meds would help me. He wanted me to stop all my meds to make sure it wasn’t a rebound headaches. He said that since my symptoms weren’t life altering he would wait to have surgery.

The both said I have reflexes that you only get with a compassion of the spinal cord.

I don’t understand why people can judge how you feel on a daily basis. I will say I am pretty frustrated right now. I am going to try the two things the surgeon suggested. If they don’t work I am going to plan surgery for November.

Sorry for the book and complaining.

Thank Mindy for the UPDATE! I'm so excited to be seeing Dr H next month. It seems like everyone that goes there is very pleased with him AND his staff!! I have been so frustrated with the Dr's I've been seeing so it will be nice for a change to walk out of an an appt satified rather than dissapointed!..

Thank you again for sharing your experience with Dr H and his staff! And I HOPE that chiropractic care and acupuncture works out for you for the sake of NOT getting surgery just yet!!

Take care

Jen

I hope the things the surgeon suggested bring you relief. Hugs…

I thought chiropractic adjustments were to be avoided at all cost? Wow it’s so hard when there is so much conflicted info!

He said an atlas chiropractor. Only deal with c1 and use sound waves to manipulate it.

I think he was just giving my mom something to think about since she doesn’t want me having surgery.

Sslakemom2 said:

I thought chiropractic adjustments were to be avoided at all cost? Wow it’s so hard when there is so much conflicted info!

I don’t blame her, it’s so frightening. I hadn’t heard of Atlas Chiropractic…best of luck with your treatments.

HELLO YOUR MOM SOUND LIKE MY MOM AND DAD THEY WERE DEAD SET ON ME NOT HAVING SURGERY BUT I TOLD THEM I’M THE ONE IN PAIN NOT THEM SO I NEEDED TO WHAT I THOUGHT WAS RIGHT FOR ME.

Mindy,

I just got home this thurs Aug 25 from Wisconsin. I had the SSEP, Baer and 3 mri's . I seen Dr. Heffez and then Dr. Mitchell (neurologists). Mine is just a 5mm. I also have been diagnosed with intracranial hypertension (5yrs ago). I have headaches, pressure, constant pulsating tinnitus, back, neck, head, face, shoulder, arm and hand pain. I wake up some nights with horrible burning pain from my chest all the way up to the top of my head. Dr. Heffez and Dr. Mitchell both recommended surgery but I am so nervous. I forgot to ask alot of questions when I was there and my head is just spinning. I have all the confidence in the world with Dr. H but I am just concerned about the recovery. If you don't mind me asking - what are your symptoms? Did you ask Dr. H about recovery? Like how long before you are pretty much back to normal. Please keep me posted. I will do the same. If I get surgery it could be soon as my husbands insurance might change. I would like to wait until Spring but might not be able to. Good Luck and God Bless.

Karen

Karen, I have terrible headaches and nausea. I jsut started getting numbness on the left side of my face, SOmetimes I have terrible pain in my left shoulder/neck.

I am having surgery Nov 14th. I told Jen(luvmy2girls) we should have it the same day so we could be in the hospital together however she wants her surgery done soon. I have to wait until my lease is up to move first.

Mindy

ventcrew said:

Mindy,

I just got home this thurs Aug 25 from Wisconsin. I had the SSEP, Baer and 3 mri's . I seen Dr. Heffez and then Dr. Mitchell (neurologists). Mine is just a 5mm. I also have been diagnosed with intracranial hypertension (5yrs ago). I have headaches, pressure, constant pulsating tinnitus, back, neck, head, face, shoulder, arm and hand pain. I wake up some nights with horrible burning pain from my chest all the way up to the top of my head. Dr. Heffez and Dr. Mitchell both recommended surgery but I am so nervous. I forgot to ask alot of questions when I was there and my head is just spinning. I have all the confidence in the world with Dr. H but I am just concerned about the recovery. If you don't mind me asking - what are your symptoms? Did you ask Dr. H about recovery? Like how long before you are pretty much back to normal. Please keep me posted. I will do the same. If I get surgery it could be soon as my husbands insurance might change. I would like to wait until Spring but might not be able to. Good Luck and God Bless.

Karen