Understanding Symptoms Help Update!

Thank you so much for everyone who replied to my previous post.

I was able to see the Nero on Monday. Well after speaking with him he didn't think my pain had anything to do with the Chiari. He stated that it was just a birth defect some people have. At first he said it was all due to migraines. So he prescribed me 3 different medications to take. I had already done my research before going into the appointment. So I did not agree with him at all!! However, during the consultation I told him about the swooshing noise in my ear, so he order me to have an MRA done because that concerned him. I had the MRA done on Monday. The radiologist called me back Friday and did not give me the results of the MRA. She just said the doctor wanted me to have an MRI with contrast. Also she said the doctor wanted to know if my headaches are worst when I'm standing up, laying on my back, laying on my side, etc. So now I'm just waiting for the MRI department to call me so I can schedule the MRI with contrast.

What really bothered me was the doctor wasn't going to do any further investigation if I hadn't mentioned my ear. He was just going to pump me with drugs and send me on my way. But, he must have seen something in the MRA for me to have to go back and take another test. Radiologist stated doctor wanted another test to collaborate what he saw on the MRA. Luckily my dad was with me as well for backup. Sometimes as patients we have to advocate for ourselves. Sometimes these doctors need a push. They don't know everything. I'm just praying it's nothing too serious.

About that whooshing, Naladove, I did a search for you, and other members have experienced the same: http://www.chiarisupport.org/main/search/search?q=whooshing

Perhaps you can connect with some of them to learn more about this symptom.

Follow up with the MRI but then get to neurosurgeon. Neurologists have little experience with Chiari and tend to think that it doesn't cause symptoms which is not true. Also like Beeba said get discs of your scans and get the reports! They are handy to have for your own records and to show the neurosurgeon when you get an appointment!

I had the sounds in my ears as well. Also the neurologist I went to initially did the same thing, blew everything off. I found a neurosurgeon and things are SO much better. I have not had hardly any issues with my ears (I had the wooshing but I also had high pitched ringing sometimes) since my decompression surgery...2 months ago now.

I agree with the others with go get the MRI with contrast, but then find a surgeon that knows what he is doing.