Traction safe?

Have my first PT appt in the morning. The script says traction. Is that safe for chiari? I’m not sure if the therapist knows much about chiari.

Nikki, this one I don’t think is a one size fits all… People with a basilarinvagination do well with traction, but unless you know if you have it I would be very cautious with traction. I worry to think of someone who may have hypermobile joints doing this. The mayfield clinic says no to traction



http://www.mayfieldchiaricenter.com/chiari_Treatments.php



I am seeing Dr Henderson in a week, I will ask him his opinion if you like.



My first round of pt, before I knew I had CM, made my symptoms worse. I don’t know if it was the traction or the neck Streatching though. Please don’t Streatch your neck very much - go super conservative with that part.



I’m interested to see what others say.



Jenn :slight_smile:

No to the traction! I believe that Chiari and instability are contraindicative for cervical traction. The physio will no doubt be too unsure about a Chiari diagnosis anyways. Good luck!

Fifteen years before I was diagnosed with Chiari I, I was rear-ended by a drunk driver. It was just a tap on my bumper, but my neck was so stiff that physical therapy was prescribed. I did one round of traction, and by that same evening, I could not turn my neck to the left or right. Two days later, second round of traction. I did not think it possible but I was in much more pain.

The PT decided that that traction was not working for me, and I completely agreed! The real problem was not whiplash, but the CM, but at the time, no one was looking for that on MRI. I have had PT prescribed many times since then, but never let anyone use a traction modality on me after the first experience.

I agree with gabby.......No traction!

Pam