Surgery. date. 6/10/2015

This will be my 5th surgery. I will be having another shunt put in I am scared. Because I had this done before and it didn’t work and had to be removed I got meningitis had a CFS leak and I am afraid I will go threw this again. Has anyone been threw this? The doctor is hoping this will relieve the pressure around or off of the syrinx. I have just been threw so much the doctor said I wouldn’t have to stay in the unit I would go to a regular room and go home in a day. I have heard this before with my first surgery and it was a whole different story. Please tell me I am not over thinking this and I am not just worrying for no reason.

Poor thing! Good luck, you are in my prayers! Once was ENOUGH!! 8 weeks ago…

hey im dylan i dont kno if were talking about the same type of shunt but i had my 2nd decompression in 13 where they put another shunt in my 3rd or 4th ventricle because my syrinx was crushing my spinal cord which im now paralyzed in my right hand please get back to me if its the same shunt and we can talk about it :)

DylanAesthetic I had the one that was put in the top on my head or brain. I think it is called a bp shunt. Now she said if this didn’t work they were going to try to put another shunt in my spinal were the syrinx is. After having the first one put in and it didn’t work why would another doctor want to put another in right next to were the other one was placed and it didn’t work. I am not sure about putting myself threw all this again with the same result.

Hi Debra, my son had a VP Shunt placed after his second decompression surgery because he got meningitis which caused hydrocephalus. The hydrocephalus did not go away fast enough like with the first surgery. He also got meningitis from the first surgery. He also had the CSF leaks. I am not sure of your situation but for his situation I really didn't want him to get the shunt but I guess it was needed at the time. The day after he got the shunt he vomited every single day, sometimes 3x a day for an entire year. They finally took it out after my insistence that he didn't need it. They could never seem to set the pressure right and it was a pain the @$$! If you have constant hydrocephalus than I could see the need for a shunt. Ask for the kind where they can easily program it without having to do a surgical procedure. I hope you have better luck this time. Prayers!

Thanks Toni! The 1st shunt cause me nothing but trouble they could never get it sit right wouldn’t work I got meningitis and a CFS leak. I told my 1st doctor to remove it if it wasn’t going to work. So it was removed. But now this new doctor wants to place another VP shunt right next to where the other one was. If it didn’t work why would u put another one there in the same stop. I am having second thoughts about having it done. Am I just being crazy for thinking like this but I just feel like my doctor isn’t listening to me again.

Now after reeading these it’s making me nervous about the possibility of one!
I had a leak repair the 11th and on my second day home ended up back in the hospital with meningitis, been here since. But while being treated for that, my incision started leaking again, so the doctor put in a lumbar drain which I’m to have in until Thursday, and they’re using it to decide if I should have a Shunt placed before going home.

My son didn't have any issues with the placement of the shunt and it didn't get infected or leak, I think it just cause to much drainage of his CSF because he didn't have a problem with Hydrocephalus all the time. It was just caused by the meningitis. Debra, I would have your doc do a CSF flow study and see how your ventricles look. Then that will give you a better idea of whether you really need another shunt. Kayla, my son also had the lumbar drains and I feel for you with the meningitis infection. Also have your doctor check the same things before agreeing to a shunt you may or may not need.

My nurses and CNA here have all seemed to agree that I should opt for the shunt, especially since the doc told me how it would ultimately eliminate any future headaches I may have. The drain has helped to decide what the appropriate setting is.
So as long as I can get it inserted in my back opposed to my brain I may see about going ahead and doing it. I’m already here, and If it will save me from having to Come back due to headaches, I’d love to get it all over with. I’ll probably end up finally seeing my NS Tuesday, so we’ll discuss it, but I don’t know if I can ask to have it done and explain my reasons behind it. I mean, no one wants surgery, and I’ve had plenty in the last month, so It sounds strange to be wanting one. But I do NOT want to end up here again in a few weeks.

Debra Mann Davis

i wanna apologize 4 being a jerk nd not getting back 2 u quicker

now ur other shunt u said spinal is that actually like back or is it spine also included neck

when i had my second decompression the put the 2nd shunt in my i call it neck but maybe others call it spinal

so ur syrinx must b close 2 ur neck i believe there talking about the shunt my dr leslie sutton placed in 13

id go 4 it this is y the 2nd shunt helps ur 1st shunt nd u said ur 1st shunt had 2 b removed as in ur shuntless right now?

do u have a shunt in ur head if yes that was called a shunt replacement shunts r notorious 4 failing

i had a shunt revision the last week in jan tht revision failed and 1st week of feb had a whole new shunt put in

because like u my csf fluid leaked all over my brain

sorry next time i wont b so slow

Update we are not getting the shunt. I am going to be referred to another doctor at another hospital. Does anyone know about the Mayfield Clinic in Cleveland Ohio? My doctor said that I had such a bad case I needed someone who knew more so here we go again.