Surgery 8 days ago...everything feels impossible

I know it's different for everyone, but that's why I'm asking...I had decompression surgery 8 days ago, and today was just a crappy day. The narcotics make me feel bad, all the muscles in my face/neck/shoulders are totally frozen even with muscle relaxers, and I can't do anything. I just took a shower and am literally so exhausted i'm shaking. How long did it take those of you who have had surgery to get at least a little bit of normal? Right now, just getting up and going to the bathroom is exhausting, yesterday my goal for the day was to serve my own dinner....and I know, I just had surgery but I'm exhausted and everything takes monumental effort. Some people have told me 6 months until they're even off of muscle relaxers...so, what are your experiences? I just need to know this isn't going to last forever.

Yes everyone is different. I agree, at least 2 weeks of nothing. I was in the hospital for 14days, and my surgeon ordered a hospital bed at home with strict instructions for no stairs until cleared. Be patient, I know its difficult, but your body is talking to you. Blessings my friend.

Beeba said:

Everyone is different. But personally and from others experiences two weeks is a big changing point. Give yourself time. For thos two weeks I slept almost arou d the clock. Be patient and go easy on yourself. This is extremely painful and it takes it out of you not to mention the trauma of a three hour surgery.

Thanks...2 weeks I can handle, I just feel so fogged right now. I'm sleeping constantly, and everything is just so exhausting. I haven't even tried to sleep in my bed yet because I'm terrified I'll roll over, I've been in the recliner since I got home. I should really just stop reading stuff, people are starting to freak me out with how long their recoveries are. I need a super huge dose of patience...and maybe an anti-anxiety med lol

I was ICU for one day, regular room for 4...came home actually a little earlier than my doc thought I would, she gave me the option of staying or going home and I came home since all the nurses wouldn't let me rest.

Ok, I needed that kick in the pants. I will try my bed tonight and hopefully feel better tomorrow. Now that I'm out of the shower and clean (and my pain meds have kicked in) my outlook on life is a little better as well lol