Spacing Out

Does anyone else have a problem with spacing out and not remembering the in between? Would that be considered a blackout? Could this be a symptom of chiari or something normal? Just curious.

I would think we all have that forgetfulness when as we all get older, but I just wanted a second opinion for another chiari friend. Thank You.

Abby said:

Hay Dawn, I have times when I go to get something, and when I get there, can’t remember what it was, Old age, or Chiari? My blackouts, are when I stand up and then everything gets black, I get really hot, and then I go down. I don’t actually faint, just every thing goes black and I feel really funny. I then have a migraine. That is what my black outs are. Abby

hi dawn

i get more of a fog and out of body feeling, i do get forgetfulness but is be because im distracted and not thinking properly

I get brain fog a lot too where I can’t think properly. It can be very frustrating especially when I have to make important decisions. A friend of mine is having trouble with spacing out and not remembering the in between and she doesn’t know if it would be something to be concerned about. It could be forgetfullness I don’t know but I thought I would ask my support group to get her some answers Thanks for the reply Joelene I hope you are having a good day today :slight_smile:

joelene hossack said:

hi dawn

i get more of a fog and out of body feeling, i do get forgetfulness but is be because im distracted and not thinking properly

hi guys,
nothing helps with me, i just get though the day struggling, it makes for along day, but i believe that in away its pulling the finger at it, when its too bad, i will sit there with my eyes closed, its like being drunk, and go figure i dont drink, cosmic joker playing games with me,

dawn, with your friend i would recommending getting checked out, there are alot of things that can cause that, and one might be her hormones, is there a pattern to what she does?

any concerns like that should never be left, theres always a possibitly that its something serious

HI!!!

I get foggy too…Funny though…I am not taking any narcotics now…been 2 yrs since I took them daily for pain management before surgery…I use to blame it on all the pain meds…now I think it is a Chiari symptom.

Now I have to leave myself notes!!! Well, I am closer to 50 than 40 yrs old…maybe I am just getting old…LOL

God Bless Ya All!!!

Lori

joelene hossack said:

hi guys,
nothing helps with me, i just get though the day struggling, it makes for along day, but i believe that in away its pulling the finger at it, when its too bad, i will sit there with my eyes closed, its like being drunk, and go figure i dont drink, cosmic joker playing games with me,

dawn, with your friend i would recommending getting checked out, there are alot of things that can cause that, and one might be her hormones, is there a pattern to what she does?

any concerns like that should never be left, theres always a possibitly that its something serious

Yes, thanks Carla…I think it makes sense about mild/small seizures…Many NL’s order anti-seizure meds for chronic H/A…but I never asked if they considered this seizures in my case. Must ask next visit…Neuro-Opthamologist or primary…every NL I have seen thus far has been clueless as far as Chiari goes…Many couldn’t even pronounce it correctly…that was the 1st tip off they knew NOTHING about Chiari.LOL

Glad this was mentioned. I have been having this problem for sometime now and quite frankly its beginning to scare me. I notice all to often when driving and reaching my destination that I don’t remember the drive leading up to my arrival or going through lights, I look up after wards and wonder was it green? I haven’t been driving very much lately because I know Im jeopardizing my safety and they safety of others. Another thing I have noticed is when Im talking or giving instructions/directions I can look at the specific object Im trying to describe but for some reason I call it the wrong thing about 3 different times before the right name comes out. Like yesterday I told my daughter to grab my car keys off of her play kitchen and I called the “box, the chair, the house”, then finally came the kitchen set. Its so frustrating and I know my daughter doesnt understand as she is only 3 but she thinks its pretty funny that I call things the wrong names. Is this NORMAL for people with Chiari?

I forget all the time and now have to write a list for everything. I misplace things all the time and it is so frustrating. I can relate to all the comments. I have a loss for words also and often have to ask those around me to help. It is especially hard in meetings and I space out!

Abby said:

Ya, Your just normal as well as the rest of us Chiarians, I do some of the things you said above, at least we can laugh at ourselves and chalk it up to Chiari. Have you ever been talking about something, then totally forget what you are talking about? My husband says, what are you talking about? Funny. We have a good excuse, Chiari.

I’m with ya too Abby…my memory is horrible and I can’t use old age as an excuse cause I’m only 29 so it has to be chiari. My speech slurrs at times, I lose my train of thought a lot, and I can’t remember the simplest of words. My husband will tell me something and I won’t remember what he told me for the life of me. I drive down the road and forget where I’m going. Driving is the scariest part about this cause I’ve ran a red light twice recently and I’m lucky I didn’t get hit. I have to make lists for everything and sometimes I even forget to look at my lists or set them somewhere that I can’t remember…lol…Good ole chiari likes to mess with our heads :slight_smile: All I can do is laugh about it cause if I didn’t I’d be crying…lol.

Abby said:

Ya, Your just normal as well as the rest of us Chiarians, I do some of the things you said above, at least we can laugh at ourselves and chalk it up to Chiari. Have you ever been talking about something, then totally forget what you are talking about? My husband says, what are you talking about? Funny. We have a good excuse, Chiari.