Sos post op depression

Hi, Jessica is 17 yo. 2 weeks post op… Cranio and laminectomy. She has been so sad and crying at the drop of a hat and does not know why. She wants to eat ravenously… Advise or consolation for her anyone? Thanks. Natalie. Jbs momma.

I’m sorry I don’t have any advice, I’m waiting for my surgery I just wanted you to know that I’m sending thoughts and prayers.

Natalie,
I just wanted to lend some moral support. I am sorry to hear of Jessica’s sadness post-op.
Hopefully more members will share post op experiences with you. If you haven’t yet, please consider discussing your concern with your daughter’s neurosurgeon or medical care team. Best wishes.
Hugs,
Laurie

Hi I would let her neuroseurgeon know, this is a normal post surgery response. I would just start crying at a drop of a hat. I would cry thinking my recovery was tooo slow, I could not walk straight. My neuroseurgeon said it is because the brain hasbeen jostled by the surgery, andneedstimetoheal

. Try to reassure her that it will take time and try toonly think of 1dayat a time.

I cannot image how difficult it is watch yr child struggle thru it. Lots of love and wishes during this difficult time to you all.
Shelley

I had a lot of post op emotions… One mintute sad one minute mad it was a lot to sort through. 7 months post op and finally feeling like its all starting to feel normal again. As far as eating oh my I couldn’t eat enough I wasn’t sure if it was surgery or steroids after but I gained 17 lbs. also being stuck down and not able to return to normal life as quickly as one would want could of added to my eating and sadness its a frustration that’s unexplainable. In the long run the surgery has been blessing I feel like I’m finally getting my life back.

It could be the steroids. Aside from what your doctor suggests, you need to get her up and walking. The more the better. Inactivity in teens is a huge problem. Hormones rage, which is a problem to begin with, but add some more and it gets kind of dicey. Activity even as simple as walking helps. Journaling, crafts etc can also have a positive effect. Also common with teen they build up gas quickly which leads to all manner of difficulties (again walking helps). You might also try some miralax a few times a week. Teen girls "retain" when things aren't quite right. even if they are having BMs, they don't quite finish the job and their mood swing and they start packing away the groceries followed by "snake activity" where they may not eat for a few days.

Post op teens need a lot of "mothering" enjoy it, it will be one of your last chances to be "mommy" instead of "mother" She may not say it, but look for the clues of wanting some affection/cuddling. She may not even be aware. The "child" takes over. These are really tough times. Mom has to get her up and moving like drill sgt on one hand and baby her the next moment.