Sleep problems

Hi, everyone!

I know that many chiarians have sleep problems. So I justwanted to tell you about how mine were fixed. I could not fall asleep, when I did, every little noise woke me up. I know there are many of you who have it much worse than I did and I honestly don't know how you can do anything. You must have monstrous strength! The harder it was to fall asleep, the more uncomfortable I felt, the more painful it got.

Up until about 3 months ago I had not had a good night's sleep for around 7 years. maybe more. I was used to it and didn't think much of it. When I told my doctor about it, she was surprised that I've been able to function so close to normal for such a long time. Then I realized how messed up my sleep was. haha

She prescribed me sleeping pills, but I took only 1/2 the dose a person my age should for a few reasons.

A month later I started seeing a psychiatrist who also prescribed the sleeping pills only on normal doses. So I took one pill each night for around a month and eventually tried out if I could go to sleep without them, and I could! And I've been sleeping pretty good ever since. When I stopped taking them every day, I bought 10 pills in case I needed them. Since the mid of November I have taken them less than 10 times.

At first I ddid not want to take them because I thought they make you addicted and mess everything up, but that shouldn't happen under a doctors supervision.

My head isn't working- sorry if something is a mumbo jumbo!

Oh, and I think this might have improved my memory.

My experience of sleep problems (not caused by Chiari) is that sometimes your body sleep system simply gets messed up by physical illness and stress. A short course of sleeping pills or, in my case, a tricyclic antidepressant at a very, very low dose is enough to help reset my natural healthy sleep cycle.

If we remember that sleep deprivation is a method of torture it helps emphasise that to ask for and accept medical help to get a good night sleep is actually beneficial to our overall wellbeing and function.

Great subject to post about Fugu :-)