Self-pay visit to a Chiari center?

I had decompression surgery 7 months ago and my symptoms did not improve. I believe I need to be screened for dysautonomia, EDS, and CCI. I've never been screened for anything and have only had one set of MRIs, a year before the surgery. Because I don't feel better and do have some of the symptoms common to these conditions, I think I need a follow-up MRI and a thorough work-up to find the root cause of my condition.

The doctors I've seen have basically dismissed me, including the NS who performed the surgery. I've waited months for appointments with doctors who know nothing about Chiari and don't care what happens to me. At this point, I am feeling a lot of despair.

I am on a Medicaid health insurance plan that limits me to in-network doctors. My question is, is it possible to get a self-pay appointment with a real expert (say, at the Chiari center in Long Island)? If so, how much would it cost me to get a real work-up with all the testing I need? I'm assuming it would be thousands of dollars just for the MRI ... does anyone have a ballpark figure?

I don't have any money but if it's only a few grand, maybe I could borrow some, sell my things, etc.

??

You can opt for a self-pay if it is out of network (sometimes insurance will still pay a small part.) A consultation with a regular primary care doctor in my area of Ohio is $150. My MRI cost about $8,000 (without contrast.) It will depend on location, specialty, and others. It is strange that your only MRI was a year before your surgery. Generally NS want them within the last year if not 6 months. Some places will require a down payment if you are self pay as well. I would call around to the specialty clinics and ask for a fee schedule. I would also check out the list of physicians on here and see if any are in your network. You would probably save money if you have to travel to an in-network physician (hotel about $100/night, estimate $50 for gas and $50 for food, you would have $200 instead of $8,000.) You can also have a NS but have the scans done IN network if they will put the actual images on a disk for you-not just the reports.

Thanks for the info. I had the MRI on March 25th, 2013 and the surgery on April 17th, 2014. My NS said he didn't need to do another MRI, before or after surgery. He just brushed off the idea of another MRI.

My health insurance only covers in-network providers here in Rhode Island. If an MRI costs $8K, then I'm out. No way I could raise that much.

Well, I've got an appointment with a new NL in March. Most likely he knows nothing about chiari but he might at least be willing to listen and help me get screened.

Mizfeldy, I’ve had few MRIs. One brain was about 350.00 (billed to my insurance), one was 450.00, and each spine was about 720.00. You would be surprised at the difference in charges, for the same mri, by different facilities. You can call around for pricing, and in NM the hospitals tend to be more expensive then the clinics or stand alone imaging centers. I think you have a great plan. I think you should call TCI first to find out pricing and also if it might be best to wait on imaging till you see them or at least get their imaging recommendations first so you are not doubling up or wasting. Any imaging facility can (and should) give you a disc copy of your imaging- you tell them it’s for a surgeon who doesn’t have access to their archiving system. You know a thought has occured to me about getting an MRI through your current insurance…maybe you can make a case to your NS to have a follow up mri post op, especially since he didn’t have a current view before he did the surgery. How does he know there isn’t a major problem- he cannot say his surgerybwas successful without a look. It pays to be aggressive sometimes, and if you can put some pressure on maybe save a few bucks. In the meantime can you go to a drug store and buy a soft cervical collar. If you are unstable it will help to keep your neck from bending forward or back- especially while you sleep. Hang in there and keep your hope alive.

Hugs Jenn

Since my NS was out of network he had my family doctor order the necessary MRI's so they would be covered by insurance. Do you have a good family doctor in network who might order what you need???