Roller coasters

My NS said no prior to surgery but post surgery he said I have no limitations. There is a lot of conflicting information given out! My view is it’s not worth the risk, I don’t want my head rattling around after all its been through.
If I was younger I might feel differently!

Hi Cookie,

Today bouncy or long car rides just kill me, I could not even imagine what a "Roller Coaster" would do..... But a funny thing, the day before my ACM Surgery, 15 years ago, we did the Six Flag's thing, Roller coasters and all. I took a ton of meds ahead of time, thinking what the Heck.....it could be my last day with the kids... right? Well it was Fun, but I was hurting so bad afterward, I could hardly make it down to the hotel restaurant for my potential "Last Meal". Bad thing, so much pain and med's, I don't even remember that dinner. About a week later after getting out of the hospital, we had dinner at the hotel restaurant before heading home. I remembered that one, it tasted pretty good after days of hospital food. And I'm sure they remembered me too, the old "ZipperHead", shaved head and all.

But I must agree with most of the others here, in your son's case, the gain is not worth the risk.

GrandPa Jack

I think only your doctor knows your personal medical case. For me, I have ridden a few but my neck just cannot handle it, so I don’t ride them anymore. Well, actually that isn’t true, I did ride the Rockn’roller coaster at Walt Disney World last year. The smooth coaster with a head rest was fine, its the jerky kind and those without a head rest that i cant do.

Honestly, my neurologist recommends that I dont do any contact sports or rollercoasters. However, she was basing her opinion on an article about concussions and the effects on breathing. She admitted that the experts from the article were 50/50 so she said it was my choise and only her recommendation. I haven't had surgery as my Chiari is mild, though I do have almost constant mild pain in my back and neck but I currently am still doing roller derby (i take a break when needed) and for my honeymoon last year we spent a week at disney. I serously didnt have ANY problems with headaches or pain. And we even flew down there. So my suggestion would be to start on a very mild coaster or ride that has some kind of force but not too much. If that is ok, then step up to one with more force. That is... if he wants to. but again its just my opinion.

Mine told me to do what every I would like to do and if it bothers me not to do it again. But at the same time he told me that a huge jarring like a accidents or something close to that would possible increase the mm. I have given up the 4 wheelers because for days af ter wards its is painful so I am sure that roller coasters would be there along those lines. I would say that when he is 18 and you no longer can contol what he does (unfortunately) let him make that choice for himself, but for now explain to im that it just might not be the safest thing for him and that you want what is best for him.

I agree...."teaching" them about their condition and what is safe and what isn't, is the best way to get them involved with their own body and caring for it. Be honest and upfront on what they have and how it can hurt them to do certain things, but tell them on their level of understanding. You won't always have the control over him that you do while he's young....at some point he will be grown and making his own decisions, whether you agree with his decisions or not, so I would personally suggest you do all you can to protect him and teach him while you can. And I have just never heard that roller coasters, or amsement park rides are good, or even ok, for people with our condition. It stinks....but to not have more medical issues or problems from riding one is worth having to forgo it.

Good luck to you both!

I do the no-no and ride roller coasters yes I suffer from riding some of them. The jerking motions will put you in pain depending on how much you try to fight the movements in the ride. if you relax while riding them they norm wont bother you but do not get on the rides that jerk you constantly if it hurts your head/neck it probably isn't a good ride to try him on. I never had my parents restrict me from riding a ride how old is your son and if he knows and understands the consequences I say let him try a small roller coaster to see how he handles it. Take rides at a slow pace do not constantly ride them like run from one ride and jump on another just take it slow so he can tell what hurts and what doesn't good luck to the both of yall. but dont take away his childhood he will only resent you for it depending on his age. Nobody wants to live in a bubble if they can help it.

Hi,

In some respects I agaree with that, but in a lot, I don't and here's why. Everyone is different, with how bad of a herniation they have and what it's doing to them, in terms of symptoms, etc. I have always been told that it isn't just because of the pain the roller coasters can cause as to why I should steer clear of them, but because they are plain and simply, dangerous.

With your brain stem in the spine, if it should get jerked or pinched etc., it can be dangerous. And you just never know what amount of jerking and excessive head and neck movement, is going to be the breaking point. So although it is unpleasant to live with pain; pain is atleast bareable, knowing it will eventually end. But the ramifications of the tonsils in the spine herniating more or getting pinched more, can be detrimental. If the wrong things (activities) are done, that is exactly what can happen and you could face permanent paralysis.

I say, just be smart, sensible, and strong. Even if your son begs you, cries, etc., stick to your guns and do what you know is best and safest for him. It is always better to be safe than sorry. If you are going to err, better to err on the side of caution -- that is for sure!

Good luck and God Bless.

I’m pretty positive that post decompression surgery the tonsils are no longer protruding. The point of the surgery is to allow room for the hindbrain not to be compressed and at least in our case her tonsils were cauterized. Maybe that’s why our NS gave the go ahead to ride any coaster she wants.

Here is just one thing I've read about it....."Should I stay off of roller coasters? Depends on who you ask. I feel kick-boxing and playing football are too rough on the head. I've also heard of people getting their symptoms back after riding a roller coaster or similar amusement ride. It's probably best to stay away from things that whip your head around."

I totally agree with this because you never know, and better to be safe than sorry. I wouldn't chance it. You cannot go back and redo what you've already done....meaning, if he rides it, then has problems following, as much as he'd like to go back and re-do that decision and not ride it, he can't. So better to just leave it alone and not do anything that can jar the neck and head. Better to be safe than sorry.

my neurologist told me to take it easy one wrong twist of the neck could cause serious injury even paralyzed and my surgery was last year jan 30 2012 he said it may take 2 to 3 years to fully recover and sometimes you don't so no roller coaster for me I am limited to what I do now sending me to therapy to see if that will help.. goodness this chiari is something never new it would be this bad

My neurosurgeon says I have no restrictions and that rollercoasters, vaginal birthing, SCUBA diving, etc, are all fine. However, I am not going to chance it. To me, it's not worth it. I had to work long and hard and do two surgeries to get here, I am not risking it for a 90 second roller coaster ride. SAD because I love roller coasters - but at least I rode lots of them in my younger days! :)

Bad momma here too, David rides the mild coasters at Disneyland, but he does not want to ride the larger ones at Magic Mt or Knott's Berry Farm. He rode one at Knott's and had pain for days afterward. His dr did say no contact sports.

Rollercoaster update: So I take her to Six Flags Great Adventure on Friday with 2 of her friends. Not only did she ride every coaster at the park (and they have some extreme coasters), she was still running around at full steam at 6 pm ( we got there at 10:30 am). Thank goodness the park closed at 6 because I was exhausted! Let's put it this way. When Kingda Ka finally reopened after closing for technical difficulties (this was at 5 pm), she sprinted across the park to ride it while her mom was so tired all I could do was hold everyone's bags and hope for the best. Was she tired that night? Yep. Did she ask for a Motrin or complain of a headache? Nope. And the next morning she was up at 7:30 am to play a tennis match. I am so thankful :)

I wasn’t diagnosed until age 48. At age 45, I went on an old wooden roller coaster and it felt like my brain was being rattled the entire ride. I had to hold my head the whole time! I don’t really know if this changed things for me, but I would definitely never get on another roller coaster again. It’s not worth the risk! I was also told by a neuro surgeon that I should avoid roller coasters and anything similar.

1 Like