Recovery Questions.....Just the Beginning,I am sure

okay, so I had surgery on 03/12/12 and my scalp feels funny, like maybe numb, or something on the left side.

bad headaches? Neck pain? I am in so much pain- trying to hide it from others bc I know they are tired of me

I feel as if my neck cannot move, I cannot look up or down a d my equilibrium is off

has anyone experienced this? What is it?

loss of appetite, my jaw still pops

sorry guys...I am freaking out & yes I know I should not say sorry but I feel bad, sad, depressed and in pain

Hi Destini,

All of your post surgical symptoms I also had. It takes time to heal. I lived off sweet tea. It is very painful & your neck gets so stiff. Please know I am praying for you. Don't be afraid to let oters know how you are feeling. They love you !!!

So do we....

Tracy

Hi Destini

I hope you won't feel like you have to apologize to anyone for feeling bad or sad....after all this stuff is hard to go through. Just wanted you to know that I'm keeping you in my prayers as you go through this difficult time. We all react to surgery and recovery differently; it takes some longer than others to get there. I know it's hard to be patient but with time things got better for me and I hope they will for you too. I had chiari/basilar invagination surgery with cervical fusion in Jul 2010 - now it's hard to believe that's it been that long ago. When I was going through it all, I thought it would never end - but it did. At first I really felt "stiff and stuck". While I had some movement up and down, I had almost no movement to the sides. As time has gone by though, I have regained some - although not much - movement to the sides. What I have done though is adjusted how I look to the sides. I have learned to turn my body from the waist instead of just turning my head. The more and the longer I have done it that way, the more normal it feels to me - it is my new "normal". So try to be patient. It can - and will - get better. I think the thing that helped me the most was staying positive, expecting the best and believing everything would be o.k. That's not always easy - I had to sometimes work on it. I'm praying for you as you go through this difficult time. My way of dealing with a lot of it was to "talk" myself through it with others.....If you need to do that and you need someone to talk with, I'm here......and.....there are a lot of other folks on this website who care and will be there for you. I hope you feel better soon.

Hugs and Blessings to you

Shirley

hello, it's normal. I went through the same thing and still going thru it. my left side still gives me problems now and is still numb and swells up. it's been almost a yr since my surgery in may. after your 6 wks ask for therapy to help you get motion back in your neck

Destini,

I'm sorry you are having all these symptoms and not feeling so hot. Unfortunately, it seems to be a normal part of recovery. I went through the same thing. Hopeully it helps to know you are not alone. I agree with the previous post...ask for physical therapy. You are still healing and it takes awhile! Tracy said she lived on sweet tea...I lived on water with lemon slices and cherry jello for about 6 weeks. Just keep trying to get fluids in and stay hydrated!

Good luck and don't be afraid to vent and ask your loved ones for help (we are all here for you too--post op and be scary)

Keep us updated as to how you're doing!

XOXO Monique

All very normal!!! Hang in there.

Hey Destini

No need to apologize. I felt the same way. What you are going through is normal. One of the joys of surgery. i had surgery on 1/17/12 and for like a week and a half i lived off Ensure, the headaches went away after about 2 weeks. My neck is still stiff to this day, i can move it a little bit to the left and right and even less up and down.I would say it took at least a month b4 i could really move it at all. I was told not to really push your self with the up and down motion, but try slowly 2 turn your neck left and right each day. The back of my head still feels funny. some place's it feels numb and other place's super senceitive. My wife bought a pillow made just for us Chiari's. and I love it, its the only thing that never hurts my head. My equilibrium was off for the most part i think about 2 weeks, but then again thanks to CM my left eye is messed up and now see criss cross so i still feel whaboly at times. Give it some time 2 heel

Hope you feel better

Chris

Hi,

I had decompression surgery also on March 12. My scalp is numb too. I'm getting head pressures, and bad neck pain and stiffness. I also had a laminectomy at the same time. A woman that had surgery in January told me that she didn't feel better until the third week. I guess I wanted instant gratification and relief. We have to remember we had major surgery and that pain should be expected. I was told by my NS to lie flat for 30 minutes for every 2 hours i'm sitting and/or standing. I thought I would be off the narc by now, but I still take Vicodin in the evening when the pain is the worse. During the day, I take advil. An icepack across my shoulder blades helps. I try to massage my neck and do some range of motion exercises to help with the stiff neck. My appetite has picked up, my family is threatening me with Ensure. I too lie and tell people I feel better, as they are sick of my sickness also. Anyway, we have no choice but to hang in there.

Its all normal. My daughter first surgery she hurt for at least 4 months after surgery. After her second surgery she didnot bounce back as fast. She still had pain in her neck and still could not move it after 6 months. So her Dr sent her for physical therapy. It took a good 6 months therpay before she could move her head side to side or up and down. When she started the therpay for her neck they used biofreeze and that seemed to help with stiffness and pain. I would even put it on her neck at home. She loves that stuff now. Everybody heals diffrent and it will take some time. Here if you need to talk. Hang in there

Susan

Ditto what everyone else has said…take it easy and relax. I also did not eat for weeks. Just remember to stay hydrated.

thank you all, I went for my 2 week check so the nurse could check my incision which healed, however, I have to have a CT scan because I am have g worse pain from my neck down my arm into my hands which still hurt.

Destini,

I’m sorry to hear that you’re still having so much pain:( I haven’t had the surgery yet, so I can’t share my personal experience. I have heard that it can take awhile to recover and during that time symptoms/pain can remain the same, worse, or new symptoms can present themselves. So, it may just be part of the recovery process. However, I’m glad that your Doctor and/or Nurse are taking precautions. Try to rest and not worry too much…I know…easier said than done. I hope you start to feel better very soon:)

Crystal

Crystal

Hi Destini....

I hope you are feeling better this week. Let us know how you are. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Lori