Recovery after Surgery

For anyone who had surgery, what was your recovery like? How long were you in the hospital for? If you have young children, did you have someone come stay with you? If so, for how long? How long are you in the hospital for? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm still in recovery. I had surgery on october 23 and it is a pretty long time of patience and determination. The neck brace is pretty annoying but make sure they size I no longer need the wheel chair as much but I would request renting or buying one if you don't have one. I don't have as much headaches but I still have vivid dreams. It really depends on how herniated you are and if you have developed a syrinx. I developed one pretty rapidly after being diagnosed and they're not sure if it went down or not, but the herniation is gone. I also have a retro-flexed odontoid. It creates more blockage so I couldn't tell you exactly how well the surgery will work but I'm pretty happy with it. I believe the hardest part of it all is coming to terms with what they're actually telling you when you're diagnosed. It doesn't seem that bad but in reality everything shifts and you're not going to be the same. Some things are not so great but I'm also very aware of peoples struggles and can lend a hand and I know how hard it is to hear the word "no." I feel it has made me more considerate and I try to stay as positive as possible but some days are harder than others. I found myself on antidepressants soon after..