Problems with screws

So I’m having a considerable amount of pain near one of my screws. This screw is close to the base of my skull and if I’m not mistaking, it’s the largest. When I move my head recently I get a horrible cramping pain on my skull. Anyone have the same thing happen?

I am sorry to hear that you are having pain, that sounds horrible to have normal range of motion limited because of this? I have not yet had surgery so I cannot comment.

I have a follow up question to your question. Does everyone who has (the basic decompression) surgery get hardware in their head? This was not a question I even thought about asking my doctor!

To sparky: no not everyone gets it with decomp surgery. I had Chiari and also problems with my odontoid process

And to emmaline. I have 7 screws and a rod from my C1-C3-4

Yes it's horrible. I had both upper ones removed in the NS office. My Occipitial Titanium mesh screen has always moved, just a little in & out. I was told that was normal depending on fluid fluctuations. It started to really hurt a few months ago & sure enough the screw had worked itself out. It takes four days for your tissue to adhere to the mesh screen and after that it doesn't matter if the screws stay in. They can really hurt & make the tissue swell. I am so sorry you are having problems. Mine hurt the worst if I forgot & rested my head on the seat headrest in the car & at night. Definitely let your NS know. It is much better being removed. I had previous Cranial Nerve Decompression surgery, so I had a total of 10 screws. It really hurts when they are laying on a nerve.