Post surgery sports?

Hi everyone,

So I am not sure but I am thinking from reading these messages that people choose to have decompression and related surgeries for different reasons - some to prevent further neurological damage, some to try to improve their symptoms/quality of life, etc.

My question is - have any of you personally had the surgery and successfully been able to return to athletics? Maybe not necessarily team sports, but have you been able to stay active - maybe walking, jogging, swimming, bowling, yoga, etc.? Although I'm not very active at the moment, my personal goal for having surgery would be to improve my quality of life. I would prefer medication help me sustain where I'm at now. If I decline, that's a different story...

Thanks for any feedback!

I was decompressed Nov '05. Since surgery I am able to participate to some extent. I cannot do anything strenuous but I work at a gym and I use the treadmill, elliptical and participate in yoga class. Now I will never be a runner, star yogi or world class athlete. But being active does help me with my depression and my sleep issues. Granted if I over do it then I end up with bigger problems, like sciatic nerve inflammation. So it's about knowing your limits and not pushing beyond them.

We do have several Members that has an active lifestyle . My close friend had CM decompression & an

Aneurysm surgery & he runs Marathons. He did have to quit working. He lost vision in one eye & was commuting to DC everyday. Now he is an Organic Gardener. I wasn't that lucky. Everyone with CM is different. I hope & pray that your surgery allows you an Active Lifestyle.

Please Let Us Know How You are Doing,

Tracy Z.

I am curious about this to. I want to get back into the shape I was when I was in boot (Probably wishful thinking) but I want to get back into shape

Thank you for the feedback, this is encouraging. I'm sorry Tracy that you are not able to be as active as some, you have certainly had a very tough road.

I actually haven't decided on surgery yet. Such a big decision. All the doctors I've seen (3 NL's and 2 NS's) are very conservative and like to point out to me that surgery can end up making things worse instead of better, so I have that stuck in my head. It's so hard to take a risk where things could get worse instead of better, even though the odds are I would improve or stay the same. Couldn't stand the thought of not being active after surgery, yet the way things are I'm sure not very active now. Good to know some level of fitness/activity is possible - marathons even!

Sure wish I had a crystal ball to see into the future...! :)

I was given to go ahead to do anything I wanted at my 8 week post op appointment except contact sports and ride roller coasters. I can say I am becoming more active everyday. Our local Relay for Life overnight walk was Friday. I was able to be a team captain and walk my assigned schedule. Last year before surgery, I was only able to go out to the relay and sit in a chair for a couple of hours.

In March, I drove my girls from Tx to Ca to visit Disneyland. We spent 3 days there and one day at the beach. Something else I was not able to do last year.

Good Luck with your decision.