Post Op things to look for

Thank you to all those that have expressed their support to us so far. My wife is scheduled for decompression surgery after the first of the New year. Is there any feedback you can give me as what to expect after the surgery? I would like to have as much info as I can to make sure my wife will be as comfortable as possible in the days/weeks following her surgery. I am really worried. Any suggestions you can give are seriously appreciated. Mr. Jody

I think each person recovers differently. I had a horrible 11 days in the hospital. The days since have been difficult at best. I, however, have Lupus and psoriatic arthritis on top of the CM. No one could have predicted my issues. I am on the comeback trail! The only advice I can offer is for right after surgery.... have the nursing staff put her on her side! There is a lot of throwing up to be done!! It is much easier and less painful if you are already on your side.

It is a roller coaster after surgery. She may not even know how you or anyone can make her comfortable or feel better. I am still trying to figure it out.

Good luck to you both and thank you for trying to be supportive and helpful. Many spouses/partners do not even come close to understanding!

Hello :slight_smile:

I’m 6 weeks post op, and doing really well!! It’s been worth every minute I was uncomfortable as my life has improved dramatically!!!

First of all, your wife is very lucky to have you. She will need lots of support in the first few weeks. Sometimes that support could just be leaving her to sleep in a nice dark room! I struggled with noise to start with and even the sound from the TV made me feel dizzy and sick. My partner said in the first few days in the hospital I was quite confused and sleepy, he never got much sense out of me and then i would fall asleep!!! I guess from all the pain medication and the anaesthetic. But trust me, even if she’s snoring she will know your there so be there to hold her hand. I was only in hospital 5 days in total.
When she comes home it’s a good idea to invest in a big comfy support cushion… I have a triangle type that pregnant ladies use and it has been a godsend!! Getting comfy is very hard because of the position of the incision.
Once home I spent loads of time asleep, I didn’t really feel like seeing anyone and holding a conversation was enough to send me back to sleep or give me a headache. Rest rest and more rest!! The advice I was given on here pre op was to take stool softeners after the op to keep things moving (gross I know but I regretted not listening) so would strongly recommend doing this!!!
Keep on top of pain meds, take the dose at the prescribed time even if it means waking her etc. It’s not a nice feeling if the pain catches up with you. I don’t know about others as obviously everyone is different, but I had muscle pain all over my body. Neck, back, legs you name it! Dr said this was because of the muscles healing.
Oh and drive slowly…it’s very painful in the car to start with!!
I started to feel human again after three weeks at home, and am pretty much back to full health after 6 weeks! BUT now I have now head pains!! Yippee!

I know my partner and family worried loads, but looking back now…the whole thing has been a huge success! Well worth it!!

Best of luck to you all!! Any questions just ask.

Laura :slight_smile:

Thank you Laura! Your tips, suggestions and information is great.....Thank you again. :) I can only hope and pray at this point that she experiences releif and and a good recovery as well.

Laura said:

Hello :)

I'm 6 weeks post op, and doing really well!! It's been worth every minute I was uncomfortable as my life has improved dramatically!!!

First of all, your wife is very lucky to have you. She will need lots of support in the first few weeks. Sometimes that support could just be leaving her to sleep in a nice dark room! I struggled with noise to start with and even the sound from the TV made me feel dizzy and sick. My partner said in the first few days in the hospital I was quite confused and sleepy, he never got much sense out of me and then i would fall asleep!!!! I guess from all the pain medication and the anaesthetic. But trust me, even if she's snoring she will know your there so be there to hold her hand. I was only in hospital 5 days in total.
When she comes home it's a good idea to invest in a big comfy support cushion... I have a triangle type that pregnant ladies use and it has been a godsend!! Getting comfy is very hard because of the position of the incision.
Once home I spent loads of time asleep, I didn't really feel like seeing anyone and holding a conversation was enough to send me back to sleep or give me a headache. Rest rest and more rest!! The advice I was given on here pre op was to take stool softeners after the op to keep things moving (gross I know but I regretted not listening) so would strongly recommend doing this!!!
Keep on top of pain meds, take the dose at the prescribed time even if it means waking her etc. It's not a nice feeling if the pain catches up with you. I don't know about others as obviously everyone is different, but I had muscle pain all over my body. Neck, back, legs you name it! Dr said this was because of the muscles healing.
Oh and drive slowly....it's very painful in the car to start with!!
I started to feel human again after three weeks at home, and am pretty much back to full health after 6 weeks! BUT now I have now head pains!! Yippee!

I know my partner and family worried loads, but looking back now...the whole thing has been a huge success! Well worth it!!

Best of luck to you all!! Any questions just ask.

Laura :)

Not much to add to this great advice, except that she is going to be tired for many months. I did not start feeling like myself until around month 7 post op. I think it’s great you are taking the time and interest for her, I still don’t think my husband even knows how to pronounce Chiari, nor is he interested in what it means.

Tell Jody that she has a lot if people pulling for her!

Jenn