Please help

Hi there, I have had chronic sinusitis for 10 year but recently I went to the hospital twice with legs buckling, confusion, blurry vision, no reflexes in knees and fatigue. They ran a stat MRI on me and diagnosed me with a 6mm Chiari malformation. My neurologist is saying that my symptoms are probably not related to the Chiari because I have good fluid around my brain. All of my blood work so far has come back normal so far. I’m scheduling an appointment to go see Dr. Dong Kim to get a second opinion. My symptoms are progressing and I can hardly see or walk without feeling like I’m going to faint. I’m 35 years old and healthier than I’ve ever been in my life, so this is all really scary thinking there is still something else beyond Chiari causing this.

Tawny, I have certainly seen a number of members reporting the same symptoms and read of them as Chiari symptoms but it's also possible there is something other than the Chiari malformation. A great discussion was posted recently with a video presentation made by the highly respected Dr Oro going through some of the alternative causes for symptoms ... it's worth making yourself a coffee and sitting down to watch. Here is the link: http://www.chiarisupport.org/forum/topics/what-other-than-chiari-could-it-be. Best advice we can offer is learn, learn, learn to help inform your discussions with your doctors. Kindest, Jules

There are other anatomical structures in the foramen magnum than those carrying cerebral spinal fluid - nerves, blood vessels!. I have always wondered why CSFthat has been the focus when assessing people with Chiari when other structures can be compressed resulting in a variety of symptoms. Hmmmm! Might be worth a polite question. Of course, ruling out a variety of other things is important in finding out what is wrong with you. Good like on your diagnostic path.

Thank you Jazzy Pants that is interesting to hear and Jules for the helpful video. I saw my neurologist again today and all of the autoimmune test came back negative. He is still going towards the MS route as he has a spinal tap scheduled for next week.(no MRI lesions). He also put me on three days of IV steroid treatment. I had my first IV treatment today and my symptoms are so much worse now: trouble standing without my knees buckling and extremely dizzy and fatigued. Hopefully the neurosurgeon that I’m meeting with Dr. Kim can help me on Monday understand more about 6 mm Chiari?!