One Sided Chiari

I came across a post a couple weeks ago where someone mentioned one sided Chiari headaches. I have been fighting with my neurologist (who I have now fired) over the fact that my headaches are not Chiari related because they are on one side, primarily the right side. I will say that I do get headaches that cover my entire head and the pressure behind my eyes at times is unbearable. Can anyone else share some light on this? I will be heading south next month for an appointment with a NeuroSurgeon who was on the World ACM list but I still want to be prepared.

Most people with headaches ultimately get an MRI. Often a Chiari is found. This doesn't mean the two are related. I caution you against diagnosing yourself based on other experiences. It is extremely unlikely that anyone will ever have a "one-sided" Chiari headache.

The pressure caused by a Chiari is on the cerebellum. The cerebellum for what its worth is called the "balance center" It is possible that there can be a frontal headache which will be in the high forehead. The most likely location is at the back of the head both sides and easily aggravated by neck movement, coughing, or straining movements. Associated neck pain is a frequent complaint. There of course can also be issues of in-coordination, difficulty swallowing, impaired eye movements, sensory disturbances, and others depending on the presence of a syrinx and/or adhesions.

Be careful as you shop for a doctor/NS. There are fewer and fewer Chiari centers selling "headache relief" but they are still out there. along with patient advocacy "non-profits" pushing for more treatment. The "lists" aren't always what they are cracked up to be. These are often Dr's willing to treat when others will say no. Check carefully their hospital affiliations. Privileges is NOT the same as staff positions...........You want someone with a lot of accountability

I agree with TJ however would like to add... I PERSONALLY had only right-sided symptoms. Migraines were only on the right front "corner" of my head. The "ice pic" stabbing was always in the right rear. I didn't have the same neck symptoms. My NS stated this was because of the tonsils not herniating perfectly symmetrically down the spinal column.

Being prepared is vitally important, however be completely and personally honest with the NS as well. As far as doctors go, let them do the doctoring. You tell them your symptoms, your problems, etc. but don't tell them your diagnosis or the cause. There are a ba-zillion causes out there and they know SO MUCH information! So be honest and let them figure it out.